New Year... New Beginnings

Discussion in 'General Education' started by SCTeachInTX, Jan 6, 2013.

1. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jan 6, 2013

The kids came back from Christmas loaded with technology and enthusiasm about 2013. How will you support your students' interests and still get them ready for state mandated tests? It begins to feel overwhelming around this time of year with the amount of teaching & learning left to do before testing. We often forget the FUN of learning and focus on tasks to prepare students for testing.

I want to keep the fun AND help prepare my students. I am incorporating as much technology as possible to engage students this year. What are you doing to keep kids motivated and keep the interest level high?

We are beginning the new year making a book trailer of a favorite book. We will use IPads to help keep that interest level. We are writing a script for our trailers and kids will have access to their works in progress at school and from home. We are drawing this project out over four weeks and working on it only a day a week. This will keep interest high and will motivate kids into completing other assignments so that they can work on this movie project. We will add video, clips, text, and sound to our final projects.

So what are YOU doing to keep the test monsters at bay in order to prepare students in a FUN way for what lies ahead in 2013? We need each other to keep the interest level high and make learning FUN and not feel like drudgery. Ideas welcome!

3. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jan 6, 2013

Great post. I will welcome ideas as well. I was just having a conversation with a coworker that I feel so "stale" right now. I feel like I need to shake it up, make it more interesting, try new things. I am bored, so I know my kids are!
    I wish I had more ideas. We don't have technology in the classroom, and the laptops on the cart are not always working. :(
    I would like to know more about your book trailer!

4. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jan 6, 2013

I hear you on the technology end!
    My problem is I only have my computer which is attached to the Smartboard, my document camera, and one i-pad for the entire grade 2. We have been just having a blast taking pictures with the i-pad and document camera and using those.

We have a lab available to me for 45 min a day but there is 10 computers and I have 16 students. SIGH.

So I am eager to hear what others do.

5. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jan 6, 2013

Animoto Book Trailer

Animoto automatically produces beautifully orchestrated, completely unique
    video pieces from your photos, video clips and music. Fast, free and shockingly easy.

Digital book commericals are short videos that promote a book. Their purpose is to motivate others to read the book. They are similar to film trailers that you see at the movies. Here is an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTmMkILL72o

1. Select a favorite book that you believe other students would enjoy. It should be a “just right” book.

2. Select images and write short text items that provide an idea of the book but that do NOT give away important plot points!! Your book trailer should be an enticing PREVIEW but not a SPOILER.

3. Save your work.

Students will create a rubric with teacher input to grade their work. Students will create their own script. Students can work on this at school as well as home for those that have computer access. Fun stuff here! The key is to motivate! Motivate! MOTIVATE! ;)

6. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jan 6, 2013

Not enough computers? Have the kids work in pairs. Do an author study or allow students to choose a favorite picture book. Forty five minutes spread out over a few weeks is more than enough time. Make it work!:)

7. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jan 8, 2013

Great ideas!!! Thanks SC!