New Vocabulary During Reading of Novel

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by luckyal29, Feb 13, 2011.

1. luckyal29

luckyal29 Companion

Feb 13, 2011

How do you handle new vocab words when you're reading a novel?

I'm trying to think back to what I've seen before. One teacher just had the students copy definitions prior to the chapter. Another had kids go back after reading the chapter to find the words. Then, they copied the sentence with the word and came up with their own definition, synonym, and antonym. And one teacher just gave a verbal definition when a new word was encountered during the reading.

What works for you?

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 13, 2011

We discuss new vocabulary as we encounter it and post the words on a word wall.

4. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Feb 13, 2011

We do it differently, just depending on my mood! :) Sometimes I have them do a "word organizer" where they have to write the definition, synonym, antonym, use it in a sentence, and draw a picture; sometimes I have them look up the word and use it in a sentence; sometimes, if we are just doing a read-aloud, I stop, talk about the word, use context clues to define, etc.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 13, 2011

It depends on the type of word as well. If it is a word that they will encounter often in their lives, we tend to do an organizer or more with the word. If it is specific to this book or reading, we may just use context clues to define it.

6. H2H

H2H Rookie

Feb 13, 2011

You could preteach the word by using it in a sentence (maybe the same sentence from the story) on a sentence strip and discussing context clues. Using a different sentence from the one in the story could be a big help because you then have the option to use it in such a way that they can apply prior knowledge to the new word. Keep the growing list of sentence strips posted and have the day's new words already up there each morning to preteach and visit them each day before reading. This can provide you with a quick way to introduce/teach new vocabulary without making it a 45-60 minute lesson in and of itself. Keep the sentence strips and you are already done for next year when you read the story to your next class.

H2H

7. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Feb 14, 2011

As a prereading activity, we often write the definition, the part of speech, and then blanks to correspond to the letters in the word on the board. Then, we play a game, as the students try to guess what the word is. We play Hangman, the Dot game, Name That "Word" (like Name that Tune), 4 Corners, etc. The students take turns saying a letter.

If they guess a letter, then they have a chance to say the word.They can pass on making a guess, but if they say the word and are wrong, though, the other team wins the round. My kiddos really like to join forces against me, so sometimes they have maybe 12 tries to guess the letters and figure out the word. If they can't do it, I get a point. If they do, they get a point. I usually get beat REALLY badly, but that's okay! :) There reward is usually an extra recess time. :)

After each word is guessed and points are awarded, we talk about the word and its definition and think of situations that would fit that definition of the word. After all the words are discovered and a "winner" declared, the students use their Reading Logs to write 'descriptive' sentences using each word.

After each unit, just before the unit test, we review the words by dividing into groups of two or three. I have a box of props and the teams choose a word from their Reading Log to act out. It is amazing what great skits they can come up with in 5 minutes. When each group is ready, they take turns presenting their skits, and the other students get three guesses to try to guess the word they used. There are no points awarded. Everyone really has a great time practicing their words in a creative way! :)

8. Pacificpastime

Pacificpastime Companion

Feb 15, 2011

I have gone through the novel by chapter and highlighted the new vocab words. Then, before the chapter, we go through our new vocab words so the students are not completely blind to the words. Then when we come across the words in the chapter we review their meaning again. Sorry if that was wordy. Good luck with your vocab.