New Tooth

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by cutNglue, Nov 28, 2011.

1. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 28, 2011

I hate that I have to get my tooth pulled and replace it with a new tooth. I'm faced with 3 decisions.

Bridge (will discolor over time): $2300

Bridge (won't discolor over time): $3800

Implant (feels more like a tooth because it is a single tooth drilled into the bone instead of a tooth and then 2 caps glued on the adjoining pieces, won't discolor over time): $4200

This is my 2nd to last tooth on the top. When I smile you can see the barest glimpse of it but not really noticeable.

Which would you do? I'm having a hard time deciding here.

3. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Nov 28, 2011

I would go with the implant. Having a bridge put in will compromise the tooth in front of and behind it. Personally I'd not want that. I'd rather have the implant.

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 28, 2011

I needed 2 teeth replaced. On the top further back I got a bridge because my insurance paid for it 100%. It was a pain to go through since it required 3 dentists visits but now it looks really nice and even (3 new teeth in a row). The bottom one I might get an inplant. I just will have to see how much it cost. There is a chance the insurance will partially cover it.

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 28, 2011

Does the bridge bother you?

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 28, 2011

Part of me also says there isn't a significant difference between bridge with permanent coloring and the implant but there is a huge difference between the one that will eventually discolor and the permenant coloring but it is the top back. Will people even see it? I'm vain enough if they will--to pay the cost but I am cringing at the cost if that won't be the case really.

The main factor is also about feel.

Tell me more.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 28, 2011

If you can barely see it, I'd go for the cheapest option.

8. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Nov 28, 2011

Agree here.

And the discoloring may be affected by your own actions. Are you a coffee or tea drinker? If that is a factor, and the coloring versus cost is truly an issue for you, you may want to take that into consideration.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 28, 2011

I agree with Upsadaisy. If people won't be looking at it (and I doubt anyone would notice) then I'd go the cheapest route.

10. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Nov 28, 2011

I'd go for the cheapest option if nobody can see it. I actually have to go to the dentist (when I get my insurance in March) to have fillings drilled out and refilled. I'm not looking forward to it, however, I had a bunch of cavities in between my front teeth when I was younger (middle school) and what my parents had told them to put in has discolored over time. If it wasn't right in the front, I wouldn't care at all. However, I don't like the fact that when I smile you can see the yellow from where it has discolored.

11. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Nov 28, 2011

I have an implant. I don't have a lot of time now, but I will come back and post more later.

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 28, 2011

It feels fine. The only thing you have to do is use special floss if there are any spaces. For me, free was the cheapest option so that's what I took LOL

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 28, 2011

Only because the tooth is in the back, maybe the cheaper option, but hey, if you want the implant, go ahead! It's more comfortable I assume.

14. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Nov 28, 2011

I would get the implant if at all possible.

15. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Nov 28, 2011

Like I said before, I have an implant. I basically had a root canal gone bad, and everything had to be pulled. I just had a space with no tooth for a little while, because I wasn't sure what to do (it was in a place you couldn't see). I decided against a bridge because it requires them to shave down the teeth on either side. I have had a lot of cavities and those two teeth were actually teeth without fillings, so I wanted to leave them alone.

The prices I had were a LOT less than what youve quoted though. Do you know if this has to do with your location? I was quoted $2,000 (before insurance) for my implant. Are the prices you quoted before or after insurance? I ended up getting insanely lucky-my implant was done for free. After the awful experience with my root canal gone bad (a shot right in the infected area that caused my body to go I to convulsions), the office manager offered for them to do it free if I let them use it as a training experience. So the dentist (with experience) did the implant while an assistant watched and helped.

After, I'm not sure how much I like it. I think they shaved it down a little too much, trying to get my teeth to line up. And there's a space underneath-my floss will go under the tooth. But it was done for free and I don't live there anymore, so I can't do much about it. It was a pretty easy and pain free experience though. It pretty much just feels like a normal tooth now.

16. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Nov 28, 2011

I wanted to add-the implant is a long process. I'm sure they've explained some of that to you. I had the first part done in May, but then didn't get the actual tooth put on until November I think. So I just had a metal post until then.