New to Third Grade

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Dea_in_Third, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Dea_in_Third

Dea_in_Third New Member

Aug 10, 2005

My first post :) In just a few weeks, I will begin my first year of teaching in third grade. Besides getting reading for my first day of school activities, I do not know what I should purchase beforehand. Does anyone have any ideas on the types of things I should buy to set up my third grade classroom, such as the types of charts, alphabet charts, books, even carpets, etc? I would really appreciate any guidance anyone can offer or any sites you can direct me to. Anything to calm my nerves.

3. Julie

Julie Rookie

Aug 10, 2005

This is my first year at third too. I bought a cursive alphabet line, a carpet, and some charts: proofreading marks, cursvie chart, writing a letter chart. You might want to look at the curriculum and then go to a teacher store and see what is offered. Also, I bought a few resource books, some general ones on math, word problems, extention activities, literacy books, etc. Hope this helps. Finally, talk to the other 3rd grade teachers at your school and find out what they have.

4. Anne Marie

Anne Marie Rookie

Aug 10, 2005

I am new to 3rd as well. MY school has already started. I on the other hand went hog wild and bought too much stuff with my own money. I am glad I bought what I did, although, I still am in awe how fast the money goes! Look on your COS. I bought some multiplication things to hang up, things about writing, punctuation, nouns, verbs, etc. In my state we have to take a writing test in 3rd. So, the steps of writing would be helpful to have up in your room as well. Have plenty of chart paper, and sentence strips. Good luck. Although, I am needing it as well!

5. sammystar

sammystar New Member

Aug 15, 2005

Hi, I've been teaching third grade for 2 years now. One thing I have found that really helps is to get the catalog called Really Good Stuff, also available online. I buy some of their materials, but also use their ideas for charts, posters etc and make my own. For example they have some great charts for punctuation to put up. I simply use large paper and copy them and add my own ideas to make my own punctuation chart.
    When I started in my classroom they didn't have a reading corner. This was really important to me. So I went out and bought a rug and about 5 large pillows. This became such a wonderful part of the classroom. After lunch every day we would do D.E.A.R (drop everything and read) for about 10/15 minutes. The children got to go on the reading rug, use pillows (on rotation of course to avoid arguments) and quietly read. They loved this part of the day. There are so may things you could do, but for the beginning of the year I wouldn't put too much up. You can easily put the childrens' work up after the first week. Good luck.

6. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Aug 15, 2005

List of things to have in your room have you thought of: yard stick, ruler, lots of extra pencils, lots of stickers, whistle so you don’t have to yell at recess, a must --bar stool to rest your feet, great to even lean up against or captain’s chair it has a back, but cost more, rubber bands, safety pins, sewing kit –needle and variety of color spools of thread –a dollar at dollar store in a small plastic box, clear finger nail polish to repair runs in hose, 3 hole punch, single hole punch, stapler, a couple big boxes of Kleenex, paper towels, sticky notes, a bunch of extra pencils, (short pencils with no erasers work great (students don’t want to borrow them and for some reason don’t break their lead and remember to sharpen their pencils before class), magic markers with grey included several boxes, good gel pen for grading papers and writing notes, I like my pink, zip lock bags –large and small, masking tape, scotch tape and heavy dispenser, deodorant, brush or comb for yourself, clear finger nail polish for quick fix hose runs, nail file for broken nails, large paper clip for your use so much better than the small ones, disinfectant (clean desk tops, pencils and door knobs –keep your room as germ free as possible, big scissors to fit your hand, erasers for top of pencils boom box, tape recorder, CD something to play music and etc on. digital timer, Glue: buy one small glue bottle for each student, than when bottle gets used, refill from your big bottle, which is cheaper, buy during beginning of school sales. Little bottles work better with little hands. Glue sticks are best. But cost more. Calendar, camera, dictionary – thesaurus, extension cord and adapter. Slide-grader. Go to garage sales, flea markets, Good Will, Salvation Army and thrift shops and buy books for in your room. If there is a box ask how much for the whole box usually cheaper. Tell them it is for a classroom, usually give you a discount. Buy a stamp pad and stamp “Property of your name” stamp on first page and along the edge if possible and several other places. Need book shelves. Buy used book shelf size of your file cabinet, butt it up against one side of the cabinet and use other side for a magnet board center.
    File folders –one for each student, keep all notes to and from home, note late papers, lose of recess one minute or two because of behavior problems and etc. Information Sheet. Student’s full name. What student will be called in the classroom, address, phone number, father’s name, address, phone number, mother’s name, address, phone number, emergency phone number, allergies, food and etc. And any other information that I might like to know about your child. A can of play dough for each student for the first day. Students go to their desk and start working with the play dough, while you are greeting more students, makes your room busy and under control from the first moment of arrival, no running around. Stamp pad and stamp with your name on it. Mark everything that you buy. Mark books back and along the edge. Library books for your room --get at garage sales, thrift shops, Goodwill and ask parents at parent night when they clean out their children’s rooms you’d love to have their extra books. You will mark donated by: Your room will look more educational with books on the shelves.