New to the World of Those Who Have Portable Classrooms...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 2, 2013

Hi...

LOL.

I just transferred schools after nine years at the same school, and my new school is a phenomenal place. I am super-stoked about being there and being one of two new teachers to the Gifted program. I will have a portable that houses two classrooms side-by-side, with a decent personal bathroom. :) It's not the smallest of portables, but it'll be very different from the land where I was able to do all these wondrous things (LOL): http://love4thgrade.blogspot.com/search/label/ClassroomTour

As you may notice, I had a large closet, a middle office, and cubbies as well as storage over the sink.

I like the idea of having a portable, though. It'll be a challenge-- but I am strangely excited about using my "plastic kingdom" for storage. I will be stacking two sets of drawers on top of one another. I will do it nicely, with a piece of wood separating the stack-- and they will be adhered well.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-4w2f_fXR3ZQ/TkxlbpzFA2I/AAAAAAAAAP4/_TYyVadV7sA/s1600/IMG_0285.JPG

• See the turquoise drawers? That's what I am talking about...
    • And see the rolling cart towards the right? I will definitely use that to my advantage.

I want to use these for the kids from two years ago because my kids will be at trapezoid tables.
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-VMUbCdM61aI/Tkxk1zWRziI/AAAAAAAAAPg/ROhW4vq1uEs/s1600/IMG_0279.JPG

These don't have the days of the week on them anymore, but... I can use these to house center items. Fortunately, the tubs can be transported around the room.
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-tucGp6Y6OdU/TkxkjFPm_KI/AAAAAAAAAPU/PhH90HzdK7w/s1600/IMG_0273.JPG

So-- any advice for being in a portable? Yes, I have to downsize a bit... I know that, but that's probably a REALLY good thing because I am somewhat of a pack rat. I have to prioritize. I will be storing some things in our shed at home, particularly board games because I don't need 7,684 in the portable. I plan on bringing a few of my very favorites, including my new checkbook/credit card game and Science Diction, of course. :lol: (Otherwise, I wouldn't survive... he, he, he.) But do you have any other practical advice?

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2013

I have always loved being in a portable. It gave me a real sense of autonomy. The year I first moved in, our district carpenter hand built me shelves and cabinets to my specification. It worked great!

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2013

I subbed in a portable and when I was in 5th grade we were in one. We loved being out there as students only bad thing to run into the school to use the restroom. My teacher (I talked to her when I was older) loved that we had our own space and we weren't distracted by much. We really were in our own little world out there. We also had a/c when the rest of the school didn't and we could set the heat to most of our liking...

I think once you get it set up you will love it.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2013

I was just informed 20 minutes ago I was being moved into a portable. Mad!

6. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2013

I've taught in two portables and one was a lot nicer than the other. The first one was really old, dirty, and had no air conditioning. It was the no air conditioning that was the worst. My second one was wonderful! It was pretty new, big, and had air conditioning that I could control myself. I really liked it. No one would walk through your room and most people couldn't hear if you were doing an activity that was a little loud.

I actually would rather be in the portable. I'm in one of the main buildings now and my room is kind of small. The air conditioning in my building goes out all the time, and the rest of the time it's freezing. Teachers also walk through my room all the time.

7. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 2, 2013

I am fortunate the portable isn't dirty. It's nice. Now if I had been in my wondrous room at my old school and was moved to a portable, I would have been very upset! So sorry, Giraffe326... have you ever been in one? I am fortunate to have my own thermostat. My only fear is when it rains.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . :unsure: :huh:

PLEASE, for those who have been in portables, explain what you've done to help with the rain issue. I've seen where portable hallways have been constructed at schools with covered walkways, but... I don't have that. :)

8. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2013

It rains all the time here. Luckily it's not usually that hard. Most kids have light jackets or bring umbrellas (small ones that they keep at their desk). They share with each other. Then we just walk quickly!

But it's funny because it comes on suddenly here. I had a kid that left to go to the bathroom and it was sunny. He came back soaked because it started to rain. The look on his face was SO funny! But the kids are used to it here and aren't bothered by a little rain.

9. Croissant

Croissant Comrade

Jul 2, 2013

I loved being a student in a portable because it gave me a chance to go outside for a couple of minutes everyday.

When I did some field work in a portable, I also loved it. I loved getting to step outside in between classes or open the door when there was a nice breeze outside. I also really liked the autonomous feel. I didn't feel like there was as much surrounding activity to distract the kids (or me, for that matter!) It was a little inconvenient when you needed to ask another teacher a question and you couldn't just step across the hall in between classes, but other that...I've always said I'd love to teach in a portable.

I would suggest having a fly swatter or spray (if it's allowed) and maybe having procedures for what to do if there's a bee etc. in the classroom, as having an outside entrance does increase the chances.

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2013

I don't have a problem with mobiles in general. I'd like to control my own temperature, I like that they are not alarmed (my school is alarmed from 6pm to 6am, so you cannot work between those hours), I like that I can park thisclose to my room ;), I like that people can't hear me.

I HATE our mobiles. Built in the 60s or 70s, single wide, very small, kiddos have to cross the bus parking lot to get to the bathroom, etc...

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2013

As for rain, most of our teachers have collected buckets of umbrellas.

12. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2013

I think we had something like that and we had some sort of plastic down for our winter boots!

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2013

I'm in a portable. Mine is clean and nice, much better than some of the other portables at my school. It's small, but it's workable. I downsized a lot of my stuff before I moved in and again at the end of the school year. I found that I don't miss any of the stuff I got rid of.

For me, weather has been the biggest factor. My portable has its own A/C and heating unit, which is awesome. What's less awesome is that both systems are on a motion sensor. This means that the inside temperature matches the outside temperature first thing in the morning...40s or 50s in the winter and 90-100 at the beginning and end of the school year. It can take hours to get to the right temperature. Yuck. I've had to remind students to bring appropriate clothing (jackets, sweaters) during cold weather and lots of water when it's hot out. They always seem to forget and then complain that they're too cold/hot.

I have no solution for the rain. It rains rarely where I live, but when it does it is often monsoon-type rain. Mostly everyone just get soaked. There's not a lot more that we can do about it--no covered walkways, and the portable is quite a way away from the main building.

14. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 2, 2013

I loved being in a portable! Rainy days pretty much guaranteed no visitors :). I found that students wanted to go to the bathroom more on rainy days, so I had to make a rule that we only went as a class.

15. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 2, 2013

I feel very happy to have my own bathroom! :)

Besides that, I am considering the bucket of umbrellas. I cannot park "thisclose" to the place, but I like how there is a LOT of grass surrounding the portable. I think it'll be peaceful. :)

16. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2013

I had a portable one year.

For the rain issue, you definitely want to require students to have umbrellas. Since you won't have too many kids, you may want to pick up some dollar store ponchos or ask parents to donate some.

Does your portable system have a boardwalk system or is it concrete and walk up? When it rained, our boardwalks were downright dangerous... you might want to pick up a pair of Crocs for when you have to go out in the rain.

I kind of miss my portable. I miss having control over my a/c.

17. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2013

The best room I ever taught in was a portable. I'd give anything to have a portable again. (Hopefully minus the black mold this time.)

18. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 4, 2013

I loved my portable! No one came to bother me. We were on the end so the only person that walked by was the principal & he rarely stopped in.

19. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 4, 2013

They called them "Learning Cottages" when I worked in Georgia.:)

20. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 4, 2013

I worked at a summer reading program and we called them cabins.

21. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 4, 2013

We usually refer to them as Learning Cottages as well.

22. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 5, 2013

Our Principal hated it, but a couple of us called it The North 40.

23. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 6, 2013

I remember when the set of portables at my old school was called The North 40. LOL. Since I am one of only two portables at the school, I don't think we'll have a nickname for our classrooms. I am genuinely grinning right now.

Purging through stuff I brought home from my previous nine years of teaching, however, has been another story.

24. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 17, 2013

The time is coming closer; any more suggestions or thoughts? :)