New to the Forum!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Preservice@USC, May 23, 2007.

1. Preservice@USC

Preservice@USC Rookie

May 23, 2007

Hi, my name is Cameron, or Preservice@USC. I recently changed my major to Elementary Education, and I am excited to hear what teachers have to say.

So for my first post, I want to ask for teacher's opinions on preservice teachers. I have had several practica where my mentor teachers let me know that they wanted me to just stay out of the way. Then I have had one or two mentor teachers who basically put me in charge so they can have a break. I have not found an in-between yet. So, what does everyone REALLY think about the nervous college kids who come in for their twenty hours? :p

3. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

May 23, 2007

They are 1 of 2 things...

A total help (you could probably do the job by now)

OR

A total hinderance (you don't have a clue and I don't have time to explain it all to you)

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 23, 2007

Hi and welcome!

I'm a math teacher and the mom of 3 on Long Island NY.

I've only had one student teacher; I'm in a Catholic school and the universities near here tend to prefer sending their student teachers to public.

But I like teaching-- anyone, anywhere. So if what I've learned in the past 20 or so years of teaching can help someone, I'm all in favor of it.

That said, my primary obligation is to the kids in the desk in front of me.

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 23, 2007

I can't wait till I have enough experience in my grade level so that I can have student teachers in my classroom. Just like Alice, I love to teach people. I can't wait to help someone in their journey to become a teacher. My journey to become a teacher was so stressful. My first assingment of student teacher was miserable and my second was great. So, it's hit or miss. But you're right. The master teacher should help you out to become a teacher without leaving you completely alone or not wanting to give you a chance. If a teacher accepts to have a student teacher, then they need to take that responsibility in helping that person learn how to be a teacher. They shouldn't take a student teacher just so they can take a break. So, good luck in your journey!

6. Preservice@USC

Preservice@USC Rookie

May 24, 2007

Much appreciated! Working with teachers that love teaching EVERYONE would be a dream. Too bad you dont teach here in Columbia, because I would be glad to help you out!

7. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

May 24, 2007

But, many times teachers don't get to choose whether or not they want a student teacher, or if they must have one, which specific student teacher. They get randomly assigned here.

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 24, 2007

Really? Every school I taught at and student taught at, the principal asked for teachers who would like to have a student teacher. No, they don't pick the person, but they do volunteer to have a student teacher. I never heard of a teacher being forced to have a student teacher. I guess that makes more sense to me as to why some are not willing to help out.

9. Dee452

Dee452 Comrade

May 24, 2007

Welcome Preservice. I graduated from the MAT program at USC and all of the mentor teachers I had in Columbia, SC were great.

10. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

May 24, 2007

In my area, the teachers have to take certain courses in order to qualify as a mentor or cooperating teacher. After that, they send in a request to host a student teacher, and the assignments are generally made based on geography (what schools are near the students' home).