New to the Forum

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by crazycordovian, Aug 16, 2010.

1. crazycordovian

crazycordovian New Member

Aug 16, 2010

Hi, I am new to this forum. I am currently enrolled at a community college to start taking classes. Right now I am applying for Teacher Aide positions in the schools around my area. My goal is to become a special education teacher but everyone around me is telling me that it wouldn't be a good decision right now because of the economy. Did any of you new teachers have problems finding a job after graduation? Also, is more schooling involved in most states to become a Special Educaiton Teacher? Thanks!

3. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Aug 16, 2010

Welcome to the board :). Lots of great information and great people here. My feeling about getting training in an area is to pursue what is in your heart. There are probably places where jobs are hard to find but if you keep a lot of doors open (moving elsewhere, working as a learning assistant first, working in another area of disability...etc.) you will find something.

4. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2010

Welcome!

By the time you finish your schooling and get your certification, you never know where the economy will be at that time!

I say go for it. This field needs people who want to be here... so if that's the case, a position will open up for you :)