New to the board and wanted to share my story

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by youmanj, Jul 2, 2010.

1. youmanj

youmanj Rookie

Jul 2, 2010

New to this board and I think that I am going to enjoy it very much. There seems to be alot of people willing to help others in need and thats a very welcoming sight.

I graduated in April and I have probably filled out around 20-30 applications to various districts around the US. I am from Michigan and well, we all know thats states reputation for teaching. I want to relocate and I am willing to do that for my job. I have kept in contact with a district in TX and it seems very promising. The process has been basically, send us your resume, fill out the application and see how your out of state certificate will work in TX. Well, my teaching certificate from what I heard, is recognized in TX, but I still have to apply for the 1 year TX certificate. So, after almost 300 bucks spent on getting all the applications and credentials sent to them, I should be receiving my teaching certificate from TX. I sent that info over to the hiring person in human resources and now the seem even more interested. I think it was because they wanted to make sure I had that 1 year certificate just to even be considered. Is that usually how it is? Anyways, the last words in her email was, "Hope to talk to you soon", so I'm very optimistic that this might end well. Once I have everything sent it, they will contact me for campus interviews. Is campus interviews, interviews with the principals? Just wondering. Well, thanks for taking the time to read this, I know it was alot, but I just wanted to share my story with everyone. Again, I look forward to more fruitful conversations with everyone in the future.

Matt

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2010

Hi, Matt, and welcome!

What do you teach?

Being from NY, I haven't got a clue about hiring in Texas. But, as you'll soon see, not knowing what I'm talking about seldm prevents me from offering advice!

Take a look on a map. Find every single district within an hour's drive of that one, and get them an application right away. Next, send every single principal in every one of those districts a resume and a cover letter. Let them know your application is on file, and the status of the 1 year certificate.

When you hear from that district, contact every one of them again. Let them know you'll be in the area for an interview, and would love the chance to meet with them, even if they currently have no openings. (Because that could always change.) If you're going to travel to Texas, make it well worth the trip!

Best wishes!!!

4. youmanj

youmanj Rookie

Jul 2, 2010

I am a certified K-5 elementary school teacher and I would love to teach 2nd or 3rd grade.

Thanks for the info, I've applied to mostly if not all of the districts around Ft. Worth and Houston. That seems to be the areas where the most teachers are being needed. Like I said, I'm from Michigan and I would love to teach in the south. I am originally from the south, and I would jump at the chance to return there.

5. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2010

Im in Texas. What part are you trying to go too? I don't know much about out state people trying to teach here. I just wanted to say good luck?

6. youmanj

youmanj Rookie

Jul 2, 2010

Killeen and Katy...over by the military base. They had a representative from their schools, actually an AP, and I chatted with her. After the job fair, I got an email stating that the AP enjoyed speaking with me and well, thats how I started applying to all of the schools down there.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2010

Welcome and good luck, youmanj!

8. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 2, 2010

Hello and welcome :)

Since you are willing to relocate, have you investigated jobs with DOD school's - schools located overseas on military bases? The pay is really good as you are paid on the civil service scale. I know these positions are highly competitive but might be worth a shot.

Good Luck on your job search

9. youmanj

youmanj Rookie

Jul 2, 2010

My father was just mentioning the very same thing to me the other day. It is something I may look into, although going overseas is a big reality check. I dunno, I guess thats the best part about growing up.

10. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2010

Welcome and good luck with everything! :)

11. teach_4_ever

teach_4_ever Rookie

Jul 4, 2010

Check out region 11's website for around the Ft. Worth area. It shows you where each school district is and any jobs posted there. There are over 100 last time I checked.

12. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jul 4, 2010

Dang it! One more person to compete with for a job!
    Just kidding Matt!;)
    Welcome and good luck,
    Rebel1

13. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 4, 2010

Great advice already given, good luck, and I'm glad you're hear. Keep us posted with your progress.

14. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 5, 2010

I relocated from another state last year to Texas. I know the process can be expensive and I was surprised that my certificate did not roll over to a Texas Certificate,because we were reciprocal states. I ended up having to take the Texas teacher's certification test. I did get a one year certificate just as you have done easily and many dollars later. :whistle:

What I found is that to be considered Highly Qualified in the state of Texas, you must take their test unless you have taken certain tests that are comparable to the Texas Certification Test. If they offered you a one year certificate only, that tells me that you probably did not meet their requirements. You need to check with the department of education on this. Most districts will let you get your foot in the door, but do know that most districts are going to require that you get your full certification immediately so that you are considered highly qualified by the state. That will be additional money that you will need to spend. I would check on that right away. :rolleyes:

Region 11 is a great place to post an application like Teach4ever suggested. But you do need to go directly to each district's website to apply as well. It really does make a difference. I would stay on top of the AP and P that you interviewed with and go ahead and make those campus visits. Usually in the summer you are meeting with just the administrators and maybe one other teacher. And yes, a campus interview is at the school level. :)

Be careful when you take the INSIGHT Test online. Many districts have you take this test when you apply. Check the A to Z forum on this test because a full 2/3 of applicants are knocked out of the hiring pool when they fail to answer questions in a certain way. The district will say there is no right or wrong answers... but if you do not make a certain scale score, you will not even be considered for a position. My principal usually tries to check scores before she screens an applicant, but she has met with applicants before and wanted to hire them, only to find out that she could not because they did not pass the INSIGHT Test. So, do check out the forum that talks about that test and specific test questions on that test. It is kind of a personality profile to see if you get along with kids, coworkers, parents and you are not some kind of weirdo. However the way the questions are worded, you need to be careful. :eek:

Let me know if I can be of help! Good luck to you and do check on your one year certificate. It really was pretty useless when most districts wanted you to have a regular certificate to be considered highly qualified. :confused:

Also, make sure your references have all filled out their forms, because your application will not be considered complete until that is done. Make sure that you check the school websites often because just because you have applied to a district does not mean that you have applied for any specific jobs. Many districts have you apply directly to a school and position by clicking a certain job link. :cool:

Be sure to let the schools know when you will be traveling to Texas so that they can make plans to interview you. Most districts in Texas are closed July 5-9 and some are closed for two weeks starting on the 5th, so if you don't hear anything right away, try not to get discouraged. Try email as your best means of communicating with principals. Principals often check their emails even while on vacation. I would send my resume and cover letter to any school that you are interested in after you have completed the application process. Good Luck!;)

15. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 5, 2010

Welcome to the boards and good luck with the job search!