New to substituting- questions

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by famv5, Dec 2, 2014.

1. famv5

famv5 Rookie

Dec 2, 2014

Hi,

I will be starting to substitute teach next week and I have a couple of questions.

My biggest fear, and I've read that it's most common, and that's classroom management. I would love to hear what many of you do to deal with managing the classroom.

Specifically, what sort of "attention getter" do you use? For example, flipping the lights on/off, clapping your hands, etc. Or do you try to stick with what the classroom teacher usually uses?

Also, do you use any sort of good behavior reward system, such as extra free time at the end of the day or stickers given out.

I'm preparing everything I need and those two items I just don't feel that I'm ready yet. I certainly do not want to walk in unprepared.

Any suggestions I would love to read. :)

Thank you!

3. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Dec 2, 2014

I have a difficult time finding out the normal "attention getter" that the teacher uses. You could try asking older kids, but the younger ones will probably stare at you blankly, lol. I like to use "If you can hear me, clap once...if you can hear me, clap twice..." By that point, the room is almost always quiet.

As far as classroom management goes, I've learned that being firm from the get-go is SOOOO important. You can loosen up as the day goes on once you get to know the class. If you start off too nice and flexible, though, you lose all power...this is especially true for upper elementary.

I always have stickers on me. Kids love stickers. As far as other rewards/consequences, a lot of classrooms have their own thing, like clipcharts, table points, class marble jar, etc. I try to use those and they usually work well.

Subbing gets SO much easier as time goes on. I think my main piece of advice is walk into the classroom with confidence. Kids can sense nervousness a mile away. Don't let them know it's your first day. If you say things with authority, they will follow your lead and you will more than likely have a good day. Most kids assume I've been subbing for years, and I never correct them. I've been doing it for about three months now and love it. I love how things are different every day, I love the flexibility, I love the kids, I love the experience I'm getting! Good luck and have fun...this is a great job.

4. famv5

famv5 Rookie

Dec 2, 2014

Thank you so much! Yes, I've read about walking in with confidence. I think the fear of the unknown is what's getting me. I never thought about using the regular teacher's reward system. That's a good idea.

Is there one specific grade you love best?

5. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Dec 2, 2014

One of the best pieces of advice that wasn't directly given to me but said about me. Don't think of yourself as a substitute teacher. If you have a degree and the certification you are a teacher. You just haven't found the right sport for you. I was subbing at a middle school one afternoon and this was said to a student about me. She isn't just a sub, she is a teacher! Treat her that way. So from that moment on, I was the teacher in every class. Helped me so much!

6. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Dec 2, 2014

It's funny, I came into subbing thinking I was going to enjoy middle school best (maybe even high school, but my district is only K-8), but I LOVEEE elementary! I ended up getting a LOT of contacts in kindergarten, and it is REALLY fun. I really enjoy the kinders. 2nd is a fun age, too, and I enjoy the 4th grade curriculum! Honestly, though, I enjoy all of elementary. They each have their fun points!

The fear of the unknown is understandable. There still is a bit of that element every day, but you get a bit of a break once you start getting requested back to rooms...that way you know the kids' names, their routine, etc. Also, once I subbed for about a week or so, I felt MUCH more confident...I think that was enough opportunity to really show myself that hey, I CAN do this!