New To Subbing

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by rlbbas123, Oct 29, 2006.

1. rlbbas123

rlbbas123 Rookie

Oct 29, 2006

Hi, everyone. I am new to subbing and so far I have only subbed for the HS in my area. I have enjoyed doing it so far and I have even decided to start back to college to start working towards my degree in education. My first week went ok, I tried to maintain a firm, but fair attitude with all the students that entered my class I was subbing for. The one thing I am learning is that they like to take bathroom breaks. Also, here are two problems I had encountered, 1st. I instructed a math class that there assignments were due by the end of the period and they were to turn them in. Everyone seemed ok with that, then a student informed me that she just received a text message from the "teacher" and that the assignment was actually due till tuesday. Talking about going over my head. 2nd. My home ec's class asked me if they could have their cake that was in the freezer. The students went on to say that the teacher wouldn't care because it was their cake and said that they could have it. At first I wasn't sure and hesitated, but they insisited it was their's and that she said they could have. I left that class feeling that I just had the wool pulled over on me.
    Does any one have any advice for a new sub that is trying to firm and fair at the same time. And How not to allow this to happen again. :confused:

3. MCWAG

MCWAG New Member

Oct 29, 2006

Firm but Fair

Kids are kids and they often push as far as they can. It's water under the bridge now, but regarding the text message, I would simply have said, "Since those instructions are not in the note left to me, please do hand in the worksheet to me before you leave." That was probably a good wake up call to remind yourself for every other sub post you get in HS that rule number one is to shut off and put away all cell phones. About the cake ... Yep, it's theirs. They can take it with them when the bell rings after class.

You can do all these things with a smile on your face and with a pleasant attitude and if you're more than happy to agree with them because after all you never know if maybe the kids are right. But the fact is that some kids do try to the pull the wool over subs' eyes and there's nothing you can do but pick your battles.

One thing to remember is always to leave a note for your teacher. There's no need to be a "tattletale" but you can figure out a way to write him/her a summary of the class or of the day.

Good luck with your education degree studies. :)

4. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Oct 30, 2006

I would say it's all in the attitude. There is a nice way to come off about things, and there is a not so nice way. As long as you show that you're in control, but still seem cool and sweet...things should go well. Plus they should understand that if it's not left in the note from the teacher, then it is better for you to do what was left in the note, rather than going by high school student word of mouth...;)

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 30, 2006

I would say, "When your teacher comes back you are welcome to ask her, but I have to follow what she gave me. Thanks for asking."

But hindsight and backseat drivers always have it better...hehe.:p