New to site . . . frustrated at school

Discussion in 'Private School Teachers' started by Mrs.T., Mar 2, 2011.

1. Mrs.T.

Mrs.T. New Member

Mar 2, 2011

I teach in a small, private school. We have one class per grade, and our largest class is 20. I teach Lang Arts for grades 5 - 8 plus once/ week Study Skills classes, also grades 5 - 8.

I'm pondering leaving teaching. I'm tired of the spoiled kids and the spoiled parents. IMO, our principal gives in too much, which adds to the problem. I hear from other teachers that in general, kids today don't take responsibility, and parents just want to see A's on report cards, regardless of what the kids know. I really don't want to be part of perpetuating this kind of behavior. (we homeschooled our kids, so I have no recent school experience to draw on)

I graduated from college in 1984 (before praxis exams, and when a degree in Elem Ed meant grades 1 - 8!), taught for a year, stayed home to raise kids and am now teaching again. I'm part way through certification, but not sure I want to continue. Once certified I will be expected to earn a Masters w/ in 10 years. At 48, I have no desire to spend the time and $$ involved in a Masters.

I love the holidays and summers off, but I'm not sure that's a valid reason to keep teaching. Thoughts?? Comments??

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 2, 2011

Some administration really has stopped saying no to the parents. It really is a problem in this country.

Do you love teaching? Do you love working with your students? Do you feel a change of venue or grade would make some of this better?

If you answer no, then leaving teaching may be the right path for you. However, if the answer is yes for the first two, I would stay with it!

4. GreenTea

GreenTea Rookie

Mar 28, 2011

Hi, I know this post isn't very new, but I wanted to contribute. Mopar has some great advice, and I want to add to it. I taught in a private school that catered to a lower-income population. There were spoiled kids and parents there, but the majority were not. Most of the kids were very down-to-earth and a pleasure to work with. I don't know if that's an option for you, but if so, it might be the change of scenery you need.

Good luck!

5. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Mar 28, 2011

I agree with many of the same issues that you have in your own school. When I was laid off from my first teaching position, while I was upset, I was also thankful: deep down I was planning on leaving because of their "philosophy" of teaching students and dealing with parents. I hated it---it went totally against what I felt a teacher and a school should provide a child.

I was blessed with a new position at a much better school. So in the long run I'm happy I was laid off. Perhaps you're really meant to be a teacher, but you just have to find the right school for you.