New to Second Grade

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by KinGeorgia, Apr 3, 2008.

1. KinGeorgia

KinGeorgia Rookie

Apr 3, 2008

I currently teach Kindergarten in Georgia. We are moving to Alabama this summer and I was unassigned until today! I was just offered a second grade position. I am sad!!! Please tell me what you makes you love second grade! THANKS! :)

3. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Apr 4, 2008

Are you sad because you've moved, or because you are teaching 2nd grade? I hope it's not the latter, or you will struggle. 2nd graders are wonderful little people. They have matured remarkably since 1st grade and are capable of deeper thought processes. Reading becomes very enjoyable about mid-year, because they are really starting to process and comprehend what they are reading and the books they read are much more fun than the predictable rhyming readers that come with K-1 reading. Second graders are really starting to become "big kids" but without the bad attitude towards school. On the whole, they still love being there every day, and their teacher is still their hero, not yet the enemy! Instead of being sad, embrace your new position. If you go into next year with the attitude your sad about being with 2nd graders, they are mature enough to sense it, and your year will indeed be bad. Bloom where you are planted...

4. Chevygirl97

Chevygirl97 Companion

Apr 5, 2008

I love second grade because they are young enough to love their teacher and like school but old enough to be BIG helpers (like what old-new teacher said :).) Although you might not see the leaps and bounds classwide and as obvious as in kinder, 2nd grade offers (at least, in my class) many little surprises-academically, socially and emotionally. You just have to look for them and not let them pass unnoticed.

I started out my year with immature, (some) below grade level (all) babies. I currently have 2nd graders!! YAY!!

I never wanted to teach 2nd grade (I had to choose between 2nd & 5th & had wanted kinder...) and can honestly say I never want to leave 2nd!

5. SarahY

SarahY Rookie

Apr 6, 2008

This is my second year in second grade. I love it! You have some independence at the beginning of the year and lots at the end. They truly transform from babies to big kids by the end of the year. Their reading takes on a beautiful fluency and they take more risks. I had the lowest class and now we are right up there with everyone else on most days!
    Have a positive attitude about it and find someone on your grade level to work and plan with. I work with four other teachers and we collaborate on everything. We are true team players!

6. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 11, 2008

I've spent a lot of time in both kinder and 2nd. I can honeslty say I don't want to go back to kinder. Second graders are very independent, but still at that stage that they love school (most of them).

7. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 11, 2008

I went from teaching K in my first year to 2nd grade at a different school in my second year. I loved it! They are more independent yet still love their teacher and school. They get some of your jokes, while others still fly right over their heads. My second grade team was amazing the first time I taught 2nd grade. They still need a lot of modeling (what grade doesn't?), but I think you'll find it's a great grade to teach.

8. teachingsecond

teachingsecond New Member

Apr 14, 2008

Second grade

This week is my third week in second after years in Kindergarten. I administered the Terra Nova and had a Wonderful experience. I love second and I do not want to change grades EVER! You will love it, too. Read the second grade forums, you'll learn alot.

9. just-n-educator

just-n-educator Companion

Apr 26, 2008

I have thought Kinder, First and this is my 1st time teaching Second. I can honestly say that second grade is truly the best grade. I am not saying this because I teach second grade, I am saying this because they are so much more independent. You can joke around with them and they are starting to understand your jokes. Good Luck!:2up:

10. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Apr 26, 2008

Second grade would be my ideal grade to teach.

11. Elcsmith

Elcsmith Companion

Apr 27, 2008

I love second grade! The kids still love you like a mom but they are mature enough to tie their own shoes. One of my favorite things about my students is their sense of humor. They have some really funny stuff to say. Also you can carry on a good and interesting conversation with most of them. Good luck!

12. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Apr 27, 2008

Second graders are awesome. I substituted in K years ago and either the kids cried or I did. They peck on you, have snotty noses, wet/& poo on themselves some. You'll love the maturity level but they're still babies, too. I think K would be the hardest grade of all to teach.