New to preschool- need help

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by JennaLivermore, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Jan 7, 2016

Hello everyone!
    I am in my second year of schooling to become an elementary teacher and recently got a job as a director of a daycare/preschool. I was really excited only to find there is absolutely NO CURRICULUM at all! We recently got rid of our lead preschool teacher, which allows me to bring someone in fresh and I am wondering, as teachers, what curriculums have you used and seen that you would recommend? Is there any tips you can offer that would help with getting the classroom to become an actual classroom instead of the playground it currently is?
    Thank you for your insight!

3. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Jan 8, 2016

I'm not familiar with all of the curricula, (my experience is with elementary), but I would strongly recommend an emphasis on reading aloud to students and activities that promote communication between/among the students and the teacher. I would not ignore the importance of play at this age. To a preschooler, play is learning. I would supplement the classroom with toys that promote essential basic learning, but I would avoid computerized activities. It's not too early for classroom experiments that use the scientific method, especially predicting results and verifying, (expect and accept any kind of prediction); a possible example is planting beans in cups, setting water outside (in a safe place away from animals) to observe evaporation (but of course they probably won't totally understand the process of evaporation). Consistent classroom procedures are an essential part of learning--picking up toys, sitting for circle time, walking in line, etc.

Resources I would highly recommend for a beginning preschool teacher-- viewing (possibly on DVD's) Mr. Roger's Neighborhood. (He's was an expert, by the way, at using consistency in procedures). I watched him every day while I was in college to prepare as a teacher, and I consider him to be my most important influence in my teaching career. He's also authored several books for parents/teachers. I would also recommend Thirty Million Words: Building a Child's Brain, by Dana Suskind, Dutton, New York: 2015. 612.8233 S; and No Drama Discipline: The Whole-Brain Way to Calm the Chaos and Nurture Your Child's Developing Mind, by Daniel J. Siegel and Tina Payne Bryson, Bantam, New York, 2014. 649.1 S. E-book ISBN 978-0-345-54805-4.