New to Prek

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by jillybean, Aug 9, 2014.

1. jillybean

jillybean Comrade

Aug 9, 2014

Well after 8 years of teaching, I got a prek position. I am very excited but very nervous. I have a lot of questions.

1. Where do you find all your circle time songs?
    2. What does your parent letter say?
    3. What do you do in the first week?

Thank you for helping me!

3. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Aug 10, 2014

Congrats on your new position!

1. The songs that I use during large group are from a variety of sources and greatly depend on what I'm using them for. For my literacy large group, I use mostly songs from the Heidisongs CDs and some Dr. Jean songs from the Better Bodies CD. For math large group, I use songs from an Everyday Math CD & Heidisongs Jumpin Numbers and Shapes. If i'm just doing some fun music & movement activities, I use songs from the Learning Station, Dr. Jean and Greg & Steve.

2. For parent letter, do you mean a "meet the teacher" type letter? The first week of school I send home 2 letters. 1 is a meet the teacher letter where I introduce myself, tell a little about what we will learn during the year, and the best way for parents to contact me. I also send home a 'polices & procedures' type letter, which is just a bullet list of things like what to do if your child is sick, absent, has a birthday, dress code, and classroom rules like "no toys from home", check backpacks every night, etc..

3.The first week of school we practice, practice, practice procedures. I start by introducing how to use centers and how to clean up the centers. I only open a few centers the first week and have few materials in each center. We practice everything from how to use a puzzle (without dumping out the pieces) to how to look at a book (without tearing pages, turning pages slowly, putting the book away nicely, etc.). The first day of school is just an introduction and practice. During centers I rotate around to make sure everyone is making good choices. On the 2nd day, I introduce new materials during a small group. I do a small group using glue, using scissors, and using playdough. After each small group, I place that material in the center. We also spend the first week talking about good choices/bad choices and do a lot of activities to review classroom rules and how to be a good friend.