New to PreK!

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by flowerpower31, Aug 14, 2011.

1. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Aug 14, 2011

Hi, everyone! I just found out that I'm hired as a PreK teacher (well, it's about 99% definite...supposed to be confirming tomorrow). I'm so so so excited! I've never taught PreK, though, and the only experience I've had is a substitute PreK aid for a couple days.

Please share any advice, suggestions, thoughts, ideas, etc. that you think is good for me to know! I'm looking for everything from what supplies I might need (I believe things for dramatic play centers and such are provided) to bulletin boards to songs to sing in class to anything else! I'm looking forward to (hopefully) having a permanent home for the school year here!

ETA: Oh, I forgot to mention...it's full day all 5 days with 4 year olds!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 14, 2011

I am going to assume you are a Certified teacher. There is so much to tell you, that I can't begin to list it all. I would suggest that you read some of the many posts about teaching PK. I know that I have posted many times on them.

But, my basic advice is to read Piaget to understand the learning level of PK. They have no abstract thoughts, and therefore can not learn to read. They can barely learn to count and recognize the alphabet.

An all day program is unusual. You might need to pick up an ECE textbook--I like Katherine Taylor. A good ECE text will explain the daily schedule and how to design a circle time.

If you have specific questions, ask away. One of us (or more) will have an opinion.

4. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Aug 14, 2011

I am a certified teacher.

I guess I'm just looking for something (or a couple things) that you think are the absolute most important.

I've been reading through some of the posts, but it's overwhelming to have so many. I thought maybe having my own would make it a little easier.

5. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

Aug 15, 2011

Consistency, rituals and routines...I would start with social/ emotional developmental milestones. This is always a big area for those that have not worked Pre-k before!

6. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 15, 2011

Here are some ideas. If I were hired for a PS class, here is what I would do first:

Make a daily schedule (post it in a manner that the PKs can read)
    Develop a time line for teaching the concepts
    Start looking for hands on ways to teach concepts
    Gather some good music for movement, quiet, and concepts
    Look at some other classrooms to get some ideas

Ask us if you have a specific question, as there is so much. Do you live close to one of us? I would be happy to run over and help you set up your room. :haha:

7. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 15, 2011

welcome and congrats! :) Feel free to ask away... we are full of advice ;)

Biggest things I can tell you... routine, routine, routine. consistency, consistency, consistency. PKers THRIVE on consistency and knowing whats' going to happen next... and they're really good at telling YOU what's supposed to happen once they learn the routine. Post a schedule with words and pictures, and have them help you read it.

Mix up your large-group and small-group times throughout the day, as well as active times with times when there is more listening involved. Attention span is roughly their age, give or take a few minutes... so keep things moving. You can have a longer circle time as long as you're breaking it up with things... so do calendar if you're going tog do it, then get up and take a jumping break (like jump the number of days 1-30)... then sit back down and read a story...

music is a wonderful tool. here are lots of great CDs out there that have really fun songs, but they kids honestly love to her YOU sing, too... they will sing along no matter how good or bad you think your voice is. I love active songs that get them moving. My kids love to get to choose what songs to sing next because they definitely have their favorites.