new to multi-age

Discussion in 'Multiage' started by kem, Jun 18, 2009.

1. kem

kem Companion

Jun 18, 2009

Unless something changes with our numbers, I will a k-1 class next year. Because it's being done out of necessity, I won't necessarily have my k's the following year as in a typical multiage setting. Kindergarten in our district, especially our school, is very early childhood based-play is huge. Our first grade is more traditional. I am having a terrible time coming up with how this is possibly going to work. I have taught both K and 1 in the school, so knowing the curriculum is not the issue, it's knowing how I'm going to cover it all! Any suggestions would be wonderful :)

3. MsDuffy

MsDuffy New Member

Jul 16, 2009

How many students are typically in a multi-age class?

4. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Jul 16, 2009

I would spend a lot of time at the beginning working on procedures. Make sure the kids know what to do and when to do it. Give kids practice at concentrating while there are other things happening in the room. Teach, especially your Ks, how to play quietly with the toys and manipulatives.

I highly recommend the D5/CAFE for reading. It works great, especially in multi-age settings.

5. kellyrosebud

kellyrosebud Rookie

Jul 20, 2009

I've been trying to wrap my head around this program. I know I just need to go out and buy the book, but I was trying to know if I was interested first.
    Is this similar to the Menu concept? Where there are must do and can do options?

6. mrssmithinaz

mrssmithinaz Rookie

Jul 29, 2009

Hello everyone!
    I just found out today that I'll be teaching K-1 multi-age, after 7 years in middle school math! But, I am very excited to begin this new journey. I will be on this multi-age forum a lot this year! I start next Thursday!

7. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Jul 29, 2009

Not really. Do some searches on here or go to Proteacher and go to the Peony room. There's lots of info!

In a nutshell- D5 is what your kids are doing while you're teaching small groups. CAFE is the basis for your whole-group mini lessons and students' individual goals.