New to Kindergarten :)

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by MissKinderK, Jul 24, 2010.

1. MissKinderK

MissKinderK Rookie

Jul 24, 2010

I taught 2 years of special ed in NY in a residential program, and I just moved to Florda. I accepted a position as a Kindergarten teacher and I start in 4 weeks!! :woot: I have decided to do a bee theme for the welcome back BB, and I have started working on my procedures. Any ideas, tips, suggestions for me? Thank you so much!!

3. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 25, 2010

Welcome! :hugs: My biggest piece of advice would be to make sure you make time to relax every week! Kindergarten can be and really is quite exhausting! The rewards however are out of this world! I love Kindergarten kids, they are such great little sponges, absorbing everything around them, and filtering those items which they want and leaving the rest behind! You will have a blast!
    When my room was "Bee" themed, my prize box was a bee-hive. Each week the students got a prize from the hive based on how many bees were still on their hive on the wall.

4. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Jul 25, 2010

Welcome to K! My biggest advice would be to work on stating expectations clearly and introducing everything-- basically you are putting your cookies on the lowest shelf. Remember the first day, the two biggest things the kids want to know is where is the bathroom, and when do we eat. :)

5. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jul 25, 2010

Welcome to kindergarten! It is always harder in the beginning! I often wonder the first week of school what I was thinking. But take a moment and laugh with them... they are so funny! OVER PLAN... and keep the schedule a routine! They do better knowing what is happening next!

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 25, 2010

I agree about it being harder the first few weeks. Your kids get so well-trained throughout the school year you forget they don't know where to put anything, how to line up, etc the first week. Be patient with them!

I also agree with overplanning-you don't want to have any time during the day when there's a lull and you're figuring out what to do. Use lots of movement activities, songs-don't be afraid to be silly with them. The progress you will see from beginning to end makes all the stress well worth it! :)

7. MissKinderK

MissKinderK Rookie

Jul 25, 2010

THANK YOU so much for the tips :) It is making me feel more at ease. I am counting down to the first day - I know it will be a crazy one but it will all be worth it :)

8. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 25, 2010

You are so right about that....it is definitely all worth it!!!! Have a great year!!!

9. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Jul 26, 2010

I moved from 2nd grade to K last year and it was the best professional move of my life. My biggest tips would be 1) remember they know NOTHING about being in school, be patient! and 2) remember to relax, breathe, and HAVE FUN with them. :D

10. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 26, 2010

I agree with what everyone has told you.
    The first day I go over procedures and we practice. We start in morning meeting circle and learn to say hello to our neighbors. From there we learn to raise our hands, how to ask to go the bathroom. Where the bathroom is. I show the boys how to lift the seat and explain that girls don't want to sit in pee. We talk about making sure to flush. After that we all wash our hands. I start it off with getting the soap on my hands and singing the ABC song making sure to wash between my fingers and the backs of my hands. Once I am done they all do it.
    We also talk about how to use crayons, scissors, and other items during the first two weeks of school.
    Good luck. I hope you enjoy K as much as I do.

11. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jul 26, 2010

:welcome: and congrats on your new job! I have a page of ideas for new teachers that you might find useful, I call it Bootcamp for New Teachers :) If you scroll to the very bottom there are also free downloads to my center introduction procedures and a link to my Parent Handbook.

12. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2010

Love, love, love the way you put this:love: