New to Kindergarten - HELP!

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Bri120, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Bri120

Bri120 Rookie

Jul 5, 2010

I am switching from 6th grade to kindergarten this year. I student taught in a kindergarten class a couple of years ago but I was there January-May so I saw the end of the year routines.

Could I please have some advice on how to start the kindergarten year. An outline of things you do the first few weeks of school would be helpful...

Needless to say, I am excited but really nervous.

3. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Jul 5, 2010

Ooooh, I'm going to need that too! I'm teaching a pre-k/K combined class, general studies, in a religious school, so I'll be there afternoons only...

4. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Jul 5, 2010

The first couple of weeks I work on going over rules, procedures and routines. This would be going over how we walk in the hall, tour of the building, how we do centers going over the schedule and rules of the school and room. We also use that first couple of weeks to get to know each other. We play a lot of games using their names. I do a lot of activities using their names.

- Name puzzles- Write their first name and cut the letters apart and have them put it back together.

-Write their name on a paper plate and hide the plates all over the room and have them go find their name.

We also start working on shapes and colors.

Keep in mind they won't be able to sit a long time at first, so have a lot of movement activities planned. I use the freeze dance and a lot of songs.

The first month in Kindergarten is crazy but by October things will start to settle down.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions let me know. I would be glad to help.

5. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Jul 8, 2010

Just remember, they know NOTHING about being in school. Little things like raising your hand and WAITING are new to them. Bring your patience and remember to breathe. They learn quickly and want to please you SO badly. :)

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 8, 2010

Every time I read one of these threads I try to remember what we do in the beginning and I can't even picture it-I think I block it out every year. ;) The others are right the first few weeks are hard-parents will have a hard time letting go, Halpey's right-you would think you could just say "line up" and they'd know what you mean-but they don't-model everything! From getting one squirt of soap to how to work a mouse on the computer.

Have lots of little transistion songs at hand, quick movement activities-they need lots of little brain breaks. I do a lot of name activities too-Chrysanthemum story, then comparing how many letters in their names. Who Stole the Cookie From the Cookie Jar on sentence strips and they add their names as the song goes on.

Most importantly-have fun with them! You may feel like an idiot-but they will have a blast if you're silly. They want to learn about everything-tap into that.

7. little317

little317 Groupie

Jul 8, 2010

I taught my kids a trick when raising their hands. They use their free hand to cover their mouth. It worked like a charm for some of my more vocal and impatient kids this year.

8. ncruz000

ncruz000 Rookie

Jul 8, 2010

Hi, I am a second year Kindergarten teacher. For the beginning of the year I really reccommend that you read The Kissing Hand to the children. I had a lot of criers the first day. So I bought a stuffed animal raccoon who "told" the story to the children. Anytime a child felt like crying they could get up and hold Chester. It was wonderful...No more criers!!!

9. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2010

the great things about kinder is you can let your inner child take over. Be prepared to dance, sing, play games, laugh and learn - and you will be well on your way to being a great kinder teacher.

I also came down to kinder although not from 6th grade.;00

Kinders will love you, workship you - you are a rock star in their eyes. You get to teach them everything from the ground up. Their opinion about everything in school in related to how you teach it. No more getting kids who hate reading and hate doing schoolwork. It's all about how you set them up.

I love, love, love kinder. You could give a beginning kindergarten a choice whether to go to Six Flags or to school and they would pick school.

Yes the potential for crying is there and it helps if you have kids, but it doesn't last. Last year I had one boy who cried when mom brought him, but by the time he was in class he was perfectly fine. No other criers at all.

The big thing I had to get used to was them having bathroom accidents. But once I got over that - it was smooth sailing.

10. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jul 11, 2010

Remember it is always slow in the beginning. You might plan to do like 3 things but only really get 1 thing done. Also, there is a lot of movement. We start at the circle for just about 5 minutes then move to something else then move back. They have to build their endurance.

I love kindergarten.. but I always question why in the very beginning. Go slow, have fun, and try to relax!

11. histonfan

histonfan Rookie

Jul 11, 2010

good luck. i dont know much about teaching in a kindergarden school but it sounds very good.

12. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2010

I found that you need to really focus on the things that I had taken for granted as a 1st-3rd grade teacher:

Walking in a line
    procedures
    getting lunches
    and things like that

Spend a lot of time setting up your routines and the rest will fall into place for you.