New to High Scope

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Lschorr2208, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Lschorr2208

Lschorr2208 New Member

Oct 15, 2013

I am beginning my second year of teaching GSRP (a free preschool program for 4 year olds). Last year I was in a district that used Creative Curriculum. My new school used High Scope. My first day was today and I got my classroom completely set up. My first day with students is not until next Monday so I do have some time to do some research.

My question is how high scope differs from creative curriculum. I know do-plan-review is a big part of high scope. That I am not worried about because I actually did that with my students last year. I think what I am most worried about is small group. Last year small group consisted of a lot of crafts and projects which I was told is not allowed in high scope?? I understand everything needs to be open ended and child-driven. Does anyone have any ideas for small group, especially simple ideas for the first couple of weeks? Also, is there anything else I need to know in regards to what is frowned upon in high scope?

Thank you for any feedback!

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 15, 2013

Everything is CC is supposed to be open ended and child driven. If you did crafts in CC, you were trained incorrectly. I think you will be fine.

4. EcTeacher126

EcTeacher126 New Member

Oct 20, 2013

I also teach in a GSRP classroom that implements highscope. Your small groups should focus on the interests of your children, and it can focus on a specific skill that you want to assess or work with them on, like cutting or number recognition.

They can be simple, like measuring with rulers, a nature walk, acting out a story, apple tasting, painting with watercolors, etc. The key is to let the children explore with the materials as they would like. So if the activity is gluing tissue paper, it is okay if a child chooses to rip the tissue paper instead of gluing it.