New to grade

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Bwhite06, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Bwhite06

Bwhite06 Rookie

Jul 13, 2013

I have taught middle school for 13 years. I decided to apply for a younger grade and was recently told I would be moving to kindergarten or first grade. I am very excited but nervous. I am not really sure where to start. Any help would be much appreciated.

3. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 13, 2013

Hi there! I just wanted to welcome you to the forums! :)

That's quite a jump in age! I can imagine the excitement-nervousness paradigm going on. :)

Did you think you'd be dropping that much lower? I do hope you'll come back and let us know your thoughts once school starts.

Here's to a wonderful, successful year!

4. Bwhite06

Bwhite06 Rookie

Jul 14, 2013

I did expect a drop to around first grade. I had been commuting about an hour and was going to try to get a position close to where I live. I only applied to k-4 schools. I was ready for a change.

5. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jul 14, 2013

Wow that IS quite a leap. I've taught first grade for about five years now and it's my favorite age group to work with. Though at first they will seem whiny and a little needy to you (since you're coming from an older age group) you will soon see that they are hard workers and capable of doing a lot of the same things as much older kids.

I'd say my biggest mistake when I started first was I got caught up in the "aw, they're so cute!" and I didn't want to discipline. I also would speak to them in a soft, almost baby voice.

Don't get me wrong, I think my students ARE adorable, but if you allow them, they WILL run the classroom and take advantage. Some tips off the top of my head:

1. Keep your class rules short and simple with pictures. (Ie: Be Nice. Be Neat. Follow directions. Try your best.)

2. Establish routines in your class. My kids can literally do anything (walk silently from my classroom to the otherside of the school where cafeteria is, science fair projects, sit silently when I'm on the telephone, pass out papers, etc) as long as I've shown them how to do it and practiced

3. Place a few bottles of hand sanitizer around the classroom and make it a routine for the kids to get a squirt anytime they sneeze, cough, touch the empty holes in their mouth from lost teeth, etc

4. Make sure each kid has three composition notebooks/journals (reading, math, science/social studies). It'll save you so much time from having to make copies of everything plus it helps cut down on desk clutter

5. Make sure each kid has a homework folder. Label one side "keep at home" (basically graded papers, art projects, stuff I don't want cluttering up their desks) and the other side "return to school" (permission slips, weekly homework, notes to parents, etc)

6. Document EVERYTHING

7. Be sensitive. The first day there may be some tears (from children and parents) but I find that as long as I'm cheerful and upbeat, most sniffles dry up quickly and the kids get so caught up in the fun of their new teacher, they are able to calm down

8. Find out if your school does common core and if so, for what subjects

6. Lifein1stGrade

Lifein1stGrade Rookie

Jul 18, 2013

Good luck! I agree to start studying the common core standards for the grades that you could be placed in.

7. ejh

ejh Rookie

Jul 18, 2013

I'm watching these messages because I'm moving from fourth to first. Not so big a jump as yours, but I need info too.