New to Fourth Grade-Classroom Management IDEAS WANTED!!

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by g4teacher, May 24, 2005.

1. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jun 30, 2009

Is it just me, or are there about 1.5 million links to the poems already in this thread? I've been reading through this thread hoping to find lots of new ideas on classroom management, and instead, about 50 percent of the posts are asking the exact same thing: information that has already been posted in this exact thread. Click the link on page 9,10, or 11!

BTW, I don't know if the person who posted about the Talk-O-Meter on the taco shell is stll around, but I LOVE that idea. I'm definitely using that this year.

2. Suebaloo

Suebaloo New Member

Jul 5, 2009

4th grade

I've been teaching 4th grade for 4 years now. I use money for my classroom mgmt. I pay the students a $1 a day for coming to school, and $1 for doing their homework (i usually pay them at the end of the week, instead of doing it every morning..you could also have a student help you with this task). If the students do not come to school or don't do their hw, they don't earn the $. I also reward the students with $ when they do something nice or for being a helper. The students in turn pay me when they earn a check or are doing something they shouldn't be. At the end of the month, we have an auction, where students can purchase items that I have purchased, or have been donated by parents.

I love this system because it teaches them responsibility, it teaches them about the economy, spending and saving, and counting.

I hope this helps. Enjoy 4th grade!

3. priyaanka

priyaanka Rookie

Aug 10, 2009

Hi! Bryan
    I really appreciate for your idea. Your ideas are very helpful. And I appreciate for your effort to support a teacher in need. :thanks:

4. AussieTeacher

AussieTeacher New Member

Aug 18, 2009

Hi! I have travelled the globe, and worked in many countries across grade levels and the key to behavior management is creating a fun game system which the kids can earn points towards throughout the day. It is important that points can also be detracted.

classroomgameplanners has a book of over 50 Behavior Management Games and Activities which I have found really useful! Here's an example of my favorite! I hope this helps!

PASSPORT TO THE WORLD:
    Take your class on an unforgettable journey across the globe! Each child is provided with their own travel map and passport ready to experience the wonders of your class. The better behaved the child, the more places they are able to travel to and explore. Ultimately, weekly and monthly prizes are awarded to the top traveller.
    Upon introduction to this behaviour management activity, students decorate a pre-designed passport or create their own, complete with portrait picture, which is either self-drawn or a real photograph, information about the student, i.e. eye colour, favourite sports, drinks and blank pages for passport stamps which indicate the countries the student has travelled to.
    Each student creates several stamps of a country in the world using self-hardening clay. Each stamp has a pattern on it, such as a popular landmark, foreign greeting or animal unique to that particular country. Stamps are then pressed into an ink pad and then onto the passport as rewards for excellent behaviour. On their travel map students use a ruler and draw lines showing the route they travelled to arrive at each destination.

5. Iteachtwo

Iteachtwo Companion

Aug 18, 2009

The intermediate team used "Clean Pockets". Students were encouraged to keep their pockets (library pockets) clean by completing classwork, behaving properly, etc. If a student didn't do what was expected, they received a colored strip in their pocket. For example, behavior strips would be black, missing homework may be green, incomplete classwork may be yellow, etc. Those with clean pockets were rewarded at the end of the week with a clean pocket party. It seemed to work pretty well. Also, before strips went into pockets, students had to write the specifics of the offense on it. So if it was a missing HW assignment, they had to write the assignment on the strip. And students had a chance to clean out their pocket before Friday by completing work, serving detention, parent conference, etc.

6. Occabacca

Occabacca Companion

Aug 18, 2009

7. firsttofourth

firsttofourth New Member

Mar 15, 2010

information

I would love to get any information about this class. Some of the information that you posted sounds really good, and great to keep any classroom positive. Thanks so much.

8. robcowgirl

robcowgirl New Member

Jun 11, 2010

9. steed

steed New Member

Jul 6, 2010

Poems

Bryan, I would love to have a copy of your poems. My email address is asteed@rcsnc.org

10. smallw11

smallw11 New Member

Aug 2, 2011

I would love to try these poems! :) I'm a new teacher teaching 4th grade and I could use any extra resources. i tried to PM you, but the site won't allow me to. Thanks in advance though. If you can, please send them to me at jmsmallwood53@gmail.com. Thank you

11. Lisasue

Lisasue New Member

Sep 8, 2012

Can you please repost the site or address where the poems are?

12. farmgirl

farmgirl New Member

Sep 25, 2012