New to Fourth Grade-Classroom Management IDEAS WANTED!!

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by g4teacher, May 24, 2005.

1. g4teacher

g4teacher New Member

May 24, 2005

:eek: I have been teaching pre-k for six years and have a new teaching assignment for next year teaching fourth graders. I need some help coming up with a game plan for running a positively motivated class of fourth graders!

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 24, 2005

You really should search the tips section of this site. Also, maybe someone could post their extensive list of links for you. Lori? Ruth?

4. g4teacher

g4teacher New Member

May 24, 2005

Ty!

:D ok, thanks, I will...I really have just found this part of the site today, and dove in!

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 24, 2005

It is fun to browse around all the lesson plans and themes when you have the time. Hope it is helpful to you. If you check in every day, you will be inspired by the time the year starts!

6. g4teacher

g4teacher New Member

May 24, 2005

I am working on it!! :D getting excited actually

7. MSUteacher

MSUteacher New Member

Jun 3, 2005

I've never taught fourth, but I know other teachers who have, and these kids still enjoy token economies. (example: each group or team has a cup that you fill with sticks and at the end of the week whoever has the most gets a prize) I would also do whole group motivation (example: points for compliments by teachers, principals to use towards a prize like free recess) and individual motivation as well (caught being good ticket maybe). I've used these ideas in 3rd and they work well.

8. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jun 3, 2005

The 5th graders at the school where I student taught could apply for "jobs" (cleaning the blackboards, collecting library books, etc) that earned them "money" in their particular system... (and, of course, you had to do the job responsibly to earn your pay, and the job could be reassigned if you weren't doing it well or the teachers wanted a switch)... they also got "money" for various things... homework, improvement, good behavior, the typical things you'd reward for... at the end of each quarter, kids used their "money" in an auction... I think the teachers had some things, and (i think?) the kids were all asked to bring a toy, book, etc. to exchange in the auction... the more you earned, the more you had to spend... the kids LOVED auction day!

9. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Jun 4, 2005

I have a system that is a variation from the stop light concept that is really popular. I call it go for gold. each student has three medals. Gold, silver and bronze (I got from the teacher store and they were stickers I didnt peel off, and put a thick card stock die cut it in the shape of a ribbon/award and laminated it- its lasted now for three school years) I use a pocket chart to house it in. Anyhow, when i want a behavior to be changed, i ask the student to go change their medal. Or, in the middle of a lesson, I can point to the child and then point to the behavior chart! I dont really give warnings before changing their medal but i do use verbal cues like, if you are talking louder then whisper I will ask you to change your medal.
    At the end of the day, if your medal remained on gold you get a fake bill that is your responsibility to collect/save and bring in every two weeks for shopping day. I have totes with prizes and candy. each tote has a different value. starting with candy and tiny treasures for 5$ and sometimes I run a sale 2 for $5! The kids can only earn the fake money from behaviors but I also wanted them to study during the week for spelling and not wait til thursday night. So i give them a pretest. If you get a 100 on it thursday then you get the $5 fake bill. If you get a 100 on friday, you only get the $1 fake bill. Giving the pretest allows them to know which words need to be studied Thursday night to do better Friday.
    (I used this system with younger kids and found that they needed daily reward even for a silver day. So i had strips of paper (not fake money) that they would get each day. Gold had a value of 3, silver had a value of 2, and Bronze had a value of 1 AND had to be signed by the parent!

I think your routine in the day is vital. Just as you would for younger ones to put their backpacks away and come to circle. You have the older kids put their homework in the 'bin' and return to their seats for daily AM work. This will allow you time to do attendance and lunch count...
    I teach a 4/5 combination class so if there is anything I can do to assist you let me know.

10. g4teacher

g4teacher New Member

Jun 4, 2005

These ideas are ver helpful! I appreciate your time and effort to help a teacher in need! Have a great weekend Everyone.... Tks Again!

11. hayleysmom

hayleysmom New Member

Jul 25, 2005

I teach 4th grade and I have two things that have worked well.
    We have a system where first a warning is given. If the problem continues, the student signs a designated notebook with their name, date, and what they were or were not doing. Depending on the situation, they may need to be moved to another location. If the problem still continues, they fill out a "decision making sheet" which is to be signed by the student, teacher and parent. It states what was done and what they should have done instead. I will not sign it if I don't agree with how they worded it and I also make sure to get their approval before they sign it. (There was actually a student who told her parents I forced her to sign it.) Also, depending on the situation, you can skip right to step 2 or 3. Like if someone physically injures another, I of course wouldn't just give a warning.
    Another thing I used for the first time last year was the "Talk-O-Meter". It is a half circle decorated like a taco with an arrow attached with a brad. Along the taco shell are "no talk", "whisper" and "quiet talk". Anytime we do an activity with partners or groups, I set the "Talk-o-Meter" and point it out to the students. It really keeps them aware of what is expected.

12. wrightnow

wrightnow Guest

Jul 25, 2005

discipline poems

I have been using a system of discipline poems in my classroom for the past 8 years. I have written poems to address any problem that might arise in the classroom. The poems are short and humorous, except to the student who misbehaves and has to write them repeatedly. I have poems for not following directions, talking, and lots of others. I have been sharing these with other teachers for years. I have used them mostly in 6th grade, but they will work in almost any grade level. If you are interested in the poems, I can send them to you. My email is wrightnow@houston.rr.com. My students and I are going to track every place that the poems are used. Our goal will be to get the poems to every state in the U.S. So far we have Texas, California, Kansas, Pennsylvania, Mississippi, Georgia, Arizona, South Carolina, and Florida. We also went international by having someone from Australia request the poems. I will share these with any teacher who is interested because I have seen poor discipline drive too many young teachers out of the profession. I also think that teachers should share their ideas with others. :)

Bryan Wright
    7th grade history teacher

13. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 25, 2005

I teach fourth grade. We have a system for compliments where we fill a jar up with marbles. One marble goes in the jar for any compliments. Three marbles go in the jar when principals comment or there is a positive comment for a fire drill. Marbles go out when the class has negative behavior as a whole, which isn't as often as the positive behavior.

My students also have Scholar Dollars that they earn for excellent homework records, reading for the Reading Log, positive behavior, and other moments where they need to receive recognition. At the end of the month, we have a Scholar Dollar store.

I also encourage a lot of intrinsic motivation.

My discipline system is where the student has his or her name on the board with the number of the rule that is broken next to the name. There is a list of consequences that goes into play when the student has two or more numbers next to his or her name.

The students also have jobs every week, and the most coveted position besides Line Leader and Door Holder is Teacher Assistant. The students aren't so much into being the librarian for the week (straightening out the class library), but... oh well. :)

14. Jaicie

Jaicie Rookie

Aug 2, 2005

Hi, G4teacher!

Teaching with Love and Logic is an excellent book by Jim Fay. Another great one is Dr. Marvin Marshall's Discipline Without Stress, Punishments, or Rewards. Both are very easy to read and have great tips that you can use immediately with your students!

Good luck to you ... you'll do just fine! ~Jaicie :)

15. marysunshine8

marysunshine8 Rookie

Aug 3, 2005

I really like the idea about giving the students money/having an auction for their behavior!!! I am a first year teacher and have run over in my head tons of ideas for classroom management for my sixth grade class and this is the first one that I've gotten excited about! Thanks for your post! I can't wait to run this idea by my team members! :)

16. srh

srh Devotee

Aug 4, 2005

I recently attended an excellent Success-Oriented Bahavior Management workshop--the focus was on instrinsic vs extrinsic rewards. (Kids get too accustomed to constant and indiscriminate extrinsic reward systems.) We learned ways to model mutual respect and responsibility to them. Some specific tips:

Use a TEACHER'S BOX. A way to let students know how they feel. (You can drop in a few riddles, jokes inside to break the "negative" connotation at times.) You can sometimes share something from the box, if appropriate and anonymous, so the class has an idea of how others perceive things. (Or read a joke!) Instead of hearing constant tattling or whines, or for students' issues they may be embarrassed to bring up, tell them to "box it." Students can write notes (or draw pictures if young) and drop it into the box, knowing the teacher will give it proper attention at the right time. This is a "safe" way for students to let the teacher know something is going on with him/her, and it does not interrupt teaching or learning. A form you provide ("Gripe Sheet") can say at the bottom: "If you want me to talk to you about this, please sign your name." Then follow through.

RED FLAG/WHITE FLAG WORDS (or, RED LIGHT, GREEN LIGHT for younger kids): Similar to a word wall. Use the appropriate color background paper, and use white 3x5 cards to post during your classroom discussion in the first week. Red words (however you choose to bring them up) would include any words you will not allow in the classroom or playground: stupid, shut up, cuss words, gang slang, etc. Explain why--they tear people down, and that's not how we will have a successful year. And, it's just not acceptable! White words (encourage these): I disagree, I don't think so, Please, Thank you, etc.

CLASSIC PAPER, ROCKS, SCISSORS: Even Kindergartners can use this fun game. And, it's amazing to see them feel proud when they solve their own problems! Make it more than a game, though, and maybe eliminate some of your involvement in minor squabbles!!

17. NCMissS

NCMissS New Member

Aug 13, 2005

This is going to be my first year teaching, but I'm planning on using "BUG" (Being Unusually Good) awards. I was introduced to and used it when I was student teaching and it works great! When students are on task, do an extra good job on an assignment, help out, use good manners, get something signed by a parent, etc... I give out a little slip of paper that they can write their name on. The student then holds onto the BUG in an envelope that is inside their desk. At the end of the week, all of the BUGs go into a bucket or a large envelope and I will draw out 5 or 6 BUGs and those people can pick from the "BUG Bucket," which is filled with random prizes like pencils, erasers, stickers, small toys... The kids try harder to get more BUGs because the more they receive, the more likely their name is to be drawn at the end of the week.

18. AuntieM

AuntieM Rookie

Sep 27, 2005

I am student teaching in as 4th grade classroom. My students are very social and transition times were really an issue the first 3 weeks of school. Here is what we use. Table of the week! there are 4 students at a table on our classroom. Each table has a number and earns points towards table of the week which is decided Friday and celebrated Monday.
    Students earn points, and points can be taken away. Monday, each student at the table may bring 50cents for a soda from the teachers lounge(they LOVE this) and each person may bring one treat each for the rest of the table..they have sugar buzz of course, but the teacher is not purchasing snacks and rewards, and they students love the competition and the freedom to bring a cool snack! It used to take us 20 minutes to get into the classroom, get planners and backpacks put away and begin the morning work, now it's 5 minutes and they are working! We finish our housekeeping and Daily Oral language in those 20-25 minutes these days!

19. dot

dot New Member

Oct 16, 2005

Earning the privilege to eat lunch in the classroom is always a big deal.
    Vary how you determine who gets to eat with you at the end of the week: daily work in on time, homework in on time, all behavior/notes signed and returned on time, stayed on task during reading group time,. If you vary the reason then sometimes the "disruptive" child might end up eating with you but then he'll be motivated the next time to be good if you're using behavior as the incentive. My class loves to watch cartoons during this time. IT's really not that bad giving up your lunch time. I spend my time in my room anyway.

20. Paulito

Paulito Rookie

Nov 27, 2005

Bryan,

Great idea, and a more enjoyable and educational punishment than the traditional writing of sentences (Bart Simpson style). In our school, only positives are allowed, and teachers cannot "punish;" however, when rightly understood this is actually educational, not a punishment!

I will IM you to get these for my wife; thanks again.

Paul

21. ashley dumas

ashley dumas New Member

Jan 11, 2007

Hi,

My name is Ashley Dumas, and I am interested in your poems about discipline. I live in Sao Paulo, Brasil and will be teaching English, Science, and Social Studies to 4th grade kids very soon. I think the poems would be a great way to incorporate English into our routine. I think I have to reply to your post before I can use your email link. Well here's hoping I can here from you soon!

Thanks,

Ashley

22. TeachyBon

TeachyBon Rookie

Jan 25, 2007

Eager to receive the discipline poems as well. :)

23. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jan 25, 2007

When my oldest son was in 4th and 5th grade (same teacher) they did something similar to this. Each year, the kids would apply for the jobs, filling out a job application, having an interview for the job, and having to wait to find out who was hired for the job. They would receive money for their job each week as well as the other things listed above. They would also have to pay rent for their desk, monthly taxes, and debits if their desk or area was messy. Certain jobs paid better than others and certain jobs were easier than others, just like in real life. The kids each had their own bank account and their own check book to keep track of, writing in deposits and money used. There was a banker (the job everyone wanted) who would make sure that the students got paid each week. Of course the teacher would make sure that things were being done correctly and that things were fair. It was really a great learning experience.

24. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jan 25, 2007

That sounds a lot like the classroom economy talked about here: http://hill.troy.k12.mi.us/staff/bnewingham/myweb3/

be prepared to spend a LOT of time on the site if you're the kind of teacher most of us are that LOVE a snoop in anyone's classroom, regardless of the grade level :)

25. ThinkOutLoud

ThinkOutLoud Rookie

Jan 28, 2007

Quick Quiz

Hi, I've only ever taught year 4 in a relief capacity, yet have one form of management that works a treat! (For most grades actually.)
    Years ago I purchased a really great childrens book with all types of weird and wacky facts. Some were rather interesting and insightful while others were flat-out GROSS (what kids love!)
    Whenever we came in from lunch and/or during session breaks (basically whenever I needed some focus and quiet) I'd whip out this book and all the students would automatically stand behind their desks for "Quick Quiz Time" or "QQT".
    We played "Heads and Tails" whereby I read a fact straight from the book and the students, if they thought it was TRUE, put their hands on their heads. If they thought it was FALSE they put their hands on their tails...or bottoms...or just by their sides if you prefer :rolleyes:

So basically, all the students who guess wrong, sit down in their seats. The quiz continues till only one student remains and is the winner. There are ways to fast track this game if needed (eg. split the class into teams and have a rep who plays for the team.)

Hope this helps as an extra idea!
    Cheers.

26. hawkeye2

hawkeye2 New Member

Feb 4, 2007

Gee, just when I thought I had finally located the elusive "Discipline Poems" I'm encountering yet another brick wall. Hopefully, this post will allow me to get pass the last hurdle...replying to a post before I can use an email link. Bryan, I hope that you will share your poems with me.
    Thanks,
    Hawkeye2

27. ThinkOutLoud

ThinkOutLoud Rookie

Feb 6, 2007

Those poems sound very interesting ;) I've got some other resources that may be of interest (have posted them in a couple of other threads and the response has been v. positive.) Anyway, check them out because they're free and are, in my opinion, some of the best (yet simple) ideas I've come across yet.
    Opinions welcome of course ;)

ThinkOutLoud xo
    PS oh yeah, the links
    www.classroom-management.org/free1NDC.html

www.reviewed-information.com/classroom1ndc.html

28. jmbcastle

jmbcastle New Member

Mar 12, 2007

Could you send me the poems? I could use a good discipline plan right now for 4th grade.

29. kansasinjapan

kansasinjapan Rookie

Mar 15, 2007

Mr. Wright,

I was wandering if you could send me a copy of your discipline poems. I am currently working on my teaching degree and working at a local middle school in Japan.

Thank you ~

Misty

kansasinjapan@hotmail.com

30. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Mar 15, 2007

I haven't tried this yet, but I think it is a good idea for an upper elementaty classroom :)

The Music Box: Buy an inexpensive music box. (Rumor has it that you can find one at Target for approximately $12.99!) Each morning, wind the music box up completely. Tell the students that, whenever they are noisy or off task, you will open the music box and let the music play until they quiet down and get back to work. If, at the end of the day, there is any music left, the kids receive some type of reward. Maybe they can earn tickets for a weekly drawing or a few minutes towards end-of-the-week free play time. Be creative and find the perfect no-cost reward that your students will really want to quiet down for. Kids love this game and will quiet down
    immediately as you reach towards the music box.

31. MsDeb

MsDeb Comrade

Mar 15, 2007

I like the Music Box idea! I may need to try that one!!!
    Thanks for sharing!

mssub

32. kansasinjapan

kansasinjapan Rookie

Mar 15, 2007

Tasha ~ the music box idea sounds really good. Thank you, I will try it.

Misty

33. shapnic

shapnic New Member

Apr 16, 2007

Thats great

What is the name of the book?

34. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 21, 2007

This thread starting in 2005, so the teacher with the poems may not be around here anymore.

35. capnfievel

capnfievel New Member

Apr 23, 2007

poems

I would love to see some of your poems...can you send them to me please!?

36. teach23

teach23 New Member

Apr 28, 2007

Could you send me your poems. They sound like a good idea, and I could use something fresh and creative.
    Thank you
    from teach 23
    suethor_100@hotmail.com

37. carrots1234

carrots1234 Rookie

Apr 30, 2007

request for poems

Hi Brian.
    I'm a substitute teacher in Ypsilanti, Michigan.
    I read your idea about using poems for classroom management.
    Would you be willing to sent them to me?
    Thanks!
    carrot 1234

38. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 30, 2007

That teacher posted about 2 years ago. I doubt this teacher is still on here.

39. saturn1

saturn1 Rookie

May 9, 2007

I am interested in your "Discipline Poems" can you send them to me?

Thanks,
    saturn1

email - lmiller1970@peoplepc.com

40. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 9, 2007

I give up.

41. saturn1

saturn1 Rookie

May 17, 2007

You can't use your personal email address on this site. I don't know how you can send us your discipline poems unless you type them all in here. Can you use attachments here? Maybe that would work.

saturn1