New to Common Core-Kagan, any advice?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by bross001, Aug 9, 2013.

1. bross001

bross001 Rookie

Aug 9, 2013

I don't post here hardly at all, but now I am really looking for any advice and encouragement on a new endeavor. I have been teaching in private school (high school ss) for eight years and now have a job in a public school (low income). For the past few days all they have been preaching is Kagan this Kagan that, and Common Core. I have taught with traditional teaching methods and have been very successful with high test scores, but I am not to lecture and use Kagan strategies. Not that I am against cooperative learning, it's just that I am having a hard time giving up my individuality as a teacher. Any advice on how to ease into this? Is Kagan REALLY as good as everyone says it is?:help:

3. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 9, 2013

I think I know the district in which you teach, because I probably do, too! LOL! Using Kagan doesn't mean that you will never lecture. It is a tool, to be used with all your other tools as a teacher. I also teach in a low SES school (elementary). I will tell you that Kagan structures will benefit you during your observations (they fit perfectly with COMPASS), as will Edmodo, if you use it.

4. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Aug 10, 2013

I would have to say the Kagan inservice that I attended was one of the best and most useful inservices I have ever seen. What was really great is that I knew teachers who began applying things from this inservice that I never remember doing so. It goes well beyond regular cooperative learning.

I would definitely sign up for the training or get some knee pads and get on your knees and beg your P. It is that good.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2013

I'm not a "group work" kind of teacher, but I use a lot of the Kagan strategies. It fits nicely into my teaching personality. I don't see why you couldn't fit it in well.

6. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Aug 10, 2013

IMA-

I'm the same type of teacher! What strategies do you use?