New to 6th

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by Read180teach, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Read180teach

Read180teach New Member

Jul 16, 2011

I am a veteran teacher 21 1/2 years --all in Pre-K - 2nd. I am going to be teaching 6th grade Reading, using the Read 180 curriculum this year. I am very excited about the change and about teaching the bigger kids. I am curious about how middle school teachers introduce rules, behavior management/contracts with students. I would appreciate any assistance or suggestions you could offer.:)

3. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 16, 2011

I still consider myself a rookie, this will be my third year total, all in 6th grade. Not sure if this will help, but I just go over the rules and procedures the first few days of class. We have an open discussion on how everyone needs to behave to have a successful class and we pull our rules from them (however, I already have all the rules done, but they don't know that). To help with behavior management, our team gives conduct marks and we send home weekly folders. We also give out "tickets" like raffle tickets for various things, such as turning in Tuesday folders, answer questions (especially when no one else is participating etc.). Then we draw tickets a few times during the 9 wks and students can choose b/t a homework pass, lunch with a friend or lunch and a movie. Good luck.
    I'm looking forward to hearing what others do as well.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2011

Welcome to atoz and sixth grade! I spend the first few days on rules and procedures and what I expect from them. We also make the rules together. I tend to keep them in their language, but work with them to phrase them in the positive during our conversation.

I have a behavior management system similar to the clip chart but with privileges for moving up (sitting in a comfy seat, working with a partner, extra oops pass, no homework pass, etc). My privileges usually change throughout the year and become more of a choice by the end of the year.

Contracts are all done individually with the students. And I always send home a copy to the parents.

5. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 16, 2011

@mopar...what's an "oops pass"?

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2011

To be used when they forgot to use the bathroom during passing period, when they forget their homework, etc.

7. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 16, 2011

Thanks

8. Hitchcock fan

Hitchcock fan Companion

Jul 21, 2011

Welcome to 6th grade! I've taught 6-12 and this is the best! You need to get used to the idea of things taking a little longer for them to absorb, regarding procedures, rules, etc. I really emphasize this the first week but continue to review it throughout the year. The first few weeks at our school are rough because most of the students have major meltdowns over learning their locker combos, or forgetting to bring something to class, or...you name it. So be patient with them.