New to 6th grade Lang.Arts/S.Studies

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by tiredteacher29, Jul 11, 2007.

1. tiredteacher29

tiredteacher29 Rookie

Jul 11, 2007

I need some help planning my sixth grade language arts block. I've never taught 6th grade before, I've only taught up to 4th grade. The principal gave me a language handbook, a binder of Thinking Maps, and a binder of Write for the future. Can anyone give me some guidance?

3. Mr. D.

Mr. D. Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

I'd suggest a workshop approach

I've taught 6th grade lang. arts for 12 years and have loved it. This year I'm moving to 5th but will be following the kids up to 6th a year from now. What has driven me has been trying to get the kids to enjoy and become motivated readers and writers. I feel a "Nancie Atwell" workshop reading/writing workshop is a good way to accomplish this. She has a great book and binder filled with mini lessons called Lessons That Change Writers. This would be a good place to start. In reading I emphasize and teach a lot of skills through read aloud. I try to get high interest books into the kids hands whenever possible. We have lots of book chats and this year will hold blog discussions on the books. Good luck.

4. Ms. Geography

Ms. Geography Comrade

Aug 4, 2007

Curriculum

I've been working on the new curriculum for 7th grade SS (never taught LA) and this is how I've pulled it together. First I printed off the frameworks from the state. Then I re-typed them onto a four column table using word 1st column is the standard number, second is the framework, the 3rd column was guiding questions for me and the students, and the last was for me--information, page numbers, etc. This did take a bit of work, but it's pulling together nicely and has helped me organize myself, see what else I need to gather, and given me a guideline for what I will be teaching. I grouped the frameworks by area when I retyped it.

I did the same format for our 8th grade SS teacher, but didn't type in the 3rd and 4th columns for him. This gave him something to work from and his is in a timeline format. 15th Century, 16th Century, etc.

After you know what you need, start searching the web for teacher web sites with printables, or those without, if you see something you like or need ask for it. Most teachers are willing to share.

Hope this helps.