New to 6th grade LA and Soc St

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by flutetoot, Aug 20, 2018.

1. flutetoot

flutetoot Companion

Aug 20, 2018

Hi

I am new to 6th grade LA and Soc St after teaching high school and adult ed for the past few years. I need to come up with a fun team building activity for the first day fo school. Any ideas? I am not artsy nor crafty, so something simple would be best

3. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 21, 2018

I teach 6th grade and while it doesn't relate specifically to LA or SS, for one of my team building activities they work as a group to build a structure with spaghetti, yarn and masking tape with a marshmallow on the top. The group with the tallest structure (as measured from the base to where the marshmallow is) is the winner. The structure can't be taped to the table and they get about a yard of masking tape and a yard of string and maybe 8-10 pieces of spaghetti.

If your sixth grade unit is ancient civilizations you can also do some fun activities related to the Greek Olympics. Standing broad jump, discus throw with plastic plates, javelin with plastic straws, and trivia questions for example. I did this with mine when I taught SS though not until we actual had our unit on Greece.

If they had summer reading where there was a wide range of books to choose from (we use the Reading Olympics list so many students do not read the same book) they can do a "speed dating" where they talk about their book for one minute and then shift to another partner when the minute is up.

You can come up with a bunch of "would you rather" questions, line them up in two rows, discuss, and then one row shifts one person over and a new "would you rather" question is given.

This is my fourth year teaching 6th grade (ELA and Science this year but I did SS for two years) and I love this age! Wishing you a great year.

flutetoot likes this.
  4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 21, 2018

I used to give kids a 'test' about myself. I joked and told them it would count as a grade. They figured out pretty quickly that it wouldn't. I included T/F questions like: Mrs. B has 3 sisters, she always wanted to be an opera singer. Silly stuff. It was fun.

5. flutetoot

flutetoot Companion

Aug 21, 2018

Nice idea!

6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 21, 2018

I presented this to my 6th grade teachers last year and they LOVED it. Not sure if you'd want to do it as a first day activity, but it's a good one for building a Bully Free Zone!

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2018

This is such a powerful activity! I haven't done it for a few years, but plan to do it again with the help of one or two of our Child and Youth Workers.

8. flutetoot

flutetoot Companion

Aug 25, 2018

I like this! I will definitely use this sometime during the year

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 25, 2018

This is E/LA-social studies block, yes? What about doing a class version of the sort of vocabulary game in which three people present definitions for a word only one of which isn't bogus and the group votes on which definition is correct? You could use terminology that they're unlikely to know yet and that you'll expect them to know by the end of the year.

flutetoot likes this.