New to 5th

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by nasimi77, Oct 19, 2009.

1. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Oct 19, 2009

Hi. I just recently got hired to teach 5th grade Social Studies, Science, Reading and Writing. Our school has already been in session 9 weeks. The reason I got hired on so late was the enrollment #'s kept going up and they were finally able to approve the budget for a new teacher. :) I have a mixed bag of students. Some seem to be on grade level, a few are ELD and maybe even above. I have taught 4th in the past but that was at a private school where all the kids were at grade level. I'm thinking I will have to have groups related on skill level, etc. I am a bit overwhelmed because the school year is already under way. I don't want to shortchange my students and just do minimal lesson planning to get by. I struggle with making science and social studies interesting. Wondered if you all had any suggestions? Thanks. :cool:

3. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Oct 20, 2009

There's so much you can do with science and social studies! What are you covering in the next few weeks?

4. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Oct 31, 2009

Hi Noreenk...sorry it took so long for me to get back. I think part of my feeling overwhelmed is the fact that I relocated from Cali and I'm still adjusting. Anyhow, in science we're working on the human body (skeletal system) and we're about to talk about the 13 Colonies in Social Studies.