New to 5th Grade

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by teacher_523, May 5, 2009.

1. teacher_523

teacher_523 New Member

May 5, 2009

I just found out that I am moving to 5th grade. I am trying to figure out how to decorate my classroom. I'm using themes that are taught in social studies to base my ideas around. So far the only thing I can think of is Travel since we teach US and World History. I love decorating and not many teachers in my school do. I think it will increase student participation and make the learning environment more interesting.

If anyone has any ideas for bulletin boards. I'm trying to figure out how to name points around my room like my center materials, reading table, library, etc. I was planning on putting up a timeline around the room so that when we learn about something we could post it on the timeline. I also saw an idea about doing birthdays on a timeline, but not sure if I have enough room to do that. This is all I have though. Any ideas would be great. Thank you.

3. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

May 5, 2009

I like the birthdays on a timeline idea! I don't have enough bulletin board space to do that though. I found a border that I used that said "Reading Takes You Places." I don't know if you do AR, but I tracked the students AR progress on a US map. Each student was given an airplane and they all started on the east coast and traveled across the US as they progressed toward their goals. Eventually, students who reached their goals would end up on the west coast.

4. miramia

miramia New Member

May 29, 2009

space travel included?

Hi!
    Congrats on moving to fifth--it's my favorite grade to teach!
    Since you mentioned travel as a theme, I'm wondering if you'd also like to include space travel posters/info. in your room. My fifth-grade goes to space camp, and that's why I thought of that, but I also think a few pics of "...One small step for man..." space travel would go well with any other travel location you choose to put up. You also could incorporate that into a timeline theme, as you mentioned, perhaps starting with Leonardo Davinci's sketch of a helicopter, the Wright brothers, Amelia Earhart, on to space travel...
    Good luck!!

5. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

May 30, 2009

Congrats on being in 5th! I moved to 5th last year and LOVE it! Your theme idea is great and will be a fun way to teach SS. What about doing something with Dr. Seuss' "Oh The Places You'll Go?"

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 30, 2009

I've taught 5th for years. One of my favorite room themes is Americana. There are lots of posters and things available from the Susan Winget line and you can add in painted wooden accessories. There is a cool cursive frieze where each letter has a photo of a historic place or symbol. I used red white and blue baskets and it all came together just great. It's also not too 'kiddish'.

7. pamms

pamms Comrade

May 30, 2009

Space camp?

Hi!

I am moving to 5th grade this year too! I was curious about what you meant when you said your kids go t space camp. Do they actually go to one of the established space camps? Is it just for the day? Or is it something you have created at school?

Thanks!

8. Cheyenne

Cheyenne Companion

Jun 2, 2009

This is going to "date" me, but I have always thought a Route 66 theme would be cool.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_66

It was made famous by a show "way back" called Route 66, and was mentioned more recently in the movie "Cars"...it is an American icon. :)

I have done a Read Across America, where each student is given a map of the US. For their independent reading goal, they read books that have settings in various states, trying to read one from every state. They keep track on their individual maps and on a large classroom map, as well. If you went with a Route 66 theme, maybe the books could be from the states along that highway. :)

Just one more thing...I love your ideas about the timelines-great ideas!! Being space is a problem, maybe the timelines, especially the birthday one, could be a vertical timeline instead of a horizontal one. Just a thought....:) Good luck and let us know what you decide. :)

9. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jun 10, 2009

Travel seems like a very appropriate theme for 5th grade. This is my 5th year to teach 5th and I love it ! I am putting a couch in mybroom and I am actually going for the coffee house theme. I an not going to put pics with coffee. LOL I am taking the colors, lightning , and furniture you might find in a coffee house. I hope that makes sense.

10. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jun 10, 2009

Also, one thing I have found with my 5th graders, especially during 2nd semester, is they are tired of the little kid themes. They wanted to be treated as if they are older. It is hard to do in an elementary setting, but having an appropriate classroom theme can make a big difference. One theme I did this year was Math boot camp. The kids loved it! They got to earn rankings of officer, major, lieutenant, and colonel. I was the general . LOL!

11. Cheyenne

Cheyenne Companion

Jun 10, 2009

What a neat idea! :cool: How exactly did they earn their ranks, and how long did you run it...all semester?

12. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jun 10, 2009

It's kind of a neat story. I actually started out with a sports theme. It was about 2 weeks before our BIG state test. In Texas we have TAKS and 5th grade has to pass math (what I teach) to go onto the next grade level. My kids were getting restless and making the goofiest mistakes. It started to become very frustrating. So I started math boot camp. I completely transformed my room. I had vines, and I made a hummer and a fighter jet. My desk area was the command center. It looked pretty good. I wish I had taken pictures....
    Anyways, we had review problems that we were required to do everyday. They were problem solving, long, and we had to do this everyday until after spring break until the day of the test. I knew this was going to be a problem. Since it was review students had to do it by themselves. I knew that kids weren't going to keep motivated with this for 2 weeks.
    So, every time a student got a question right (they showed me their work after 3 problems) they received a medal (gold coins). There were a total of 75 problems. They had to get 40 to become officer. 40-54 to become a major, 55-69 to become lieutenant, and 70-75 to become a Colonel. If they made colonel then they got to throw a pie in my face when we had our Math Boot Camp pep rally the day before the test. It was a lot of fun!

13. Cheyenne

Cheyenne Companion

Jun 10, 2009

That is so cool...what fun and what a great way to motivate!! Shame on you, though, for not taking pictures!! :D

14. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jun 10, 2009

HAHA! I know it. I am so bad about taking pics. I do however, have pics from the pie throwing. They are on my computer at school. I will have to post some.

15. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Jun 12, 2009

what a great idea! i'll have to steal it!

16. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jun 13, 2009

Have at it ! :0)

17. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 13, 2009

I love this idea!!!!!!!!!!!!! My last name starts with an "S" and one year I used camo fabric and did a BB with Sargeant S___ says do your best on the test! They loved it. Your ranks are a great idea. I may use that with my reading program or test reward program this year.

18. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 13, 2009

That sounds awesome, I'm jealous! We can't bring in anything to our rooms - not a rug, a lamp, a bookcase, nothing!! :(

Come back and post pics later when you're done.

19. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jun 13, 2009

You can't bring in anything?! How horrible! What is their reasoning?
    I will for sure put up pics.

If y'all have any idea to go along with this theme please share!