New to 5th grade...

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by scrapnmom24, May 28, 2010.

1. scrapnmom24

scrapnmom24 Rookie

May 28, 2010

Ok guys I am petrified! I have always taught 1st grade! I will be teaching 5th grade in the fall and I have no idea what to do! Any suggestion? LOL..I know it is such a broad topic but I know you guys will offer some great suggestions! Thanks!

3. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 28, 2010

I taught 5th for 3 years (4th for the other 10). It's a fun grade. I'd start with getting a copy of the curriculum and try to get familiar with it. If you can, get your manuals now and spend the summer sort of planning your year, or at least your first six weeks. If there are other 5th grade teachers at your school you want to get in touch with them and try to plan a day to get together and pick their brains. Good luck!! I really enjoyed 5th!

4. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 28, 2010

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 28, 2010

Start with your state and district curriculum guides.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 29, 2010

I love 5th, too. I taught it for 7 years. I'll be happy to help you with anything you need throughout the year.

I like to do advanced calendar even in 5th grade. It isn't like the calendar for little kids. It has tons of math. Mastery of fractions is usually a big deal in 5th, and the daily reinforcement of calendar was very important.

You might want to skim through some of the most commonly used novels for 5th. Check out any library's website for recommended books, or do a search on AtoZ.

If you have access to Mailbox online, check out the intermediate edition for some fun ideas.

7. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

May 29, 2010

Are you looking for management ideas? Curriculum? Organization? All of the above? LOL.

Start us off... What are you looking forward to in 5th grade? What makes you nervous?

8. scrapnmom24

scrapnmom24 Rookie

May 29, 2010

Thanks so much guys! I think I am mainly scared because I am so used to the little ones. I guess the fear of the unknown. I am really worried about teaching Math. It has been sooooo long since I had to do higher level math. I guess I am doubting my abilities.
    How about classroom management tips? And teaching Math? LOL...You guys are great!

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 29, 2010

When you have specific questions about the math curriculum, I will give you tips and suggestions. In general, in the first month, ensure that every student knows multiplication facts through 12X. Test the first week and make sure the kids know it is a necessity to have instant recall. Send a note home to parents whose children aren't up to speed. Decide on a date for 100% mastery. Allow at least 15 minutes per day for drill and/or peer review. They simply won't be able to do fractions without the facts. Nor will they be able to do long division.

5th graders still need manipulatives. Their abstract thinking often isn't as advanced as you might think it will be.

Math was just about my favorite subject to teach. Ask away.

10. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 29, 2010

Upsadaisy-did you create that calendar math? Or is it a pre-made curriculum?

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 29, 2010

Figure out a bathroom system that works for you. 5th graders will go 50 million times a day to get out of doing work if you let them! My teammates do breaks. I give them bathroom chips. They get 2 per day and can use them whenever they want (as long as I am not teaching).

Come up with a behavior/discipline system. Economies work well at this grade. I also usually do 'group points' so if a group is chatty, they can lose some of their recess time.

I still give my kids numbers. It helps in a lot of ways.

You'll need to think of a homework policy. My kids can turn it in up to 2 days late, with 5 points taken off for each late day. On the 3rd day, it is a zero. They may redo their work and resubmit it and I will record the better grade.

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 29, 2010

I moved from teaching kindergarten to fifth grade a couple of years ago (now I teach 2nd through 6th grade math!)

I remembered being like you, terrified! More, where in the world do I begin?

Here's what I did to get myself ready:
    1) I scoured the internet looking for fifth grade websites (I found awesome one's out there, problem is they are on my other computer that I gave to my mom. :( But, just type in fifth grade classroom websites and I'm sure you'll find a ton on your own. I used them to give me ideas on what my classroom should look like and other neat ideas.
    2) Next, I began thinking of my classroom management plan. I came up with an economy unit, rules, and rewards.
    3) Then, I researched readers and writers workshop.
    4) I created a classroom libarary like Beth Newingham.
    5) I sent out a memo asking teachers at my school to donate books that they no longer received (I ended up with about 15 boxes full of books- or about 3,000 books for my library!)
    6) I studied the curriculum over the summer.
    7) I came up with monthly book reports based on Mrs. Renz.

Man, I wish my fifth grade website was still up. ALL of this was on there.

13. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 29, 2010

Classroom pictures of my fifth grade classroom MAY help you out! :)
    This was my Reading Genre, library area. The papers on the window was the waiting book checkout list. If a student wanted a book that another one had, they filled out their name and the name of the book so that we knew who that book went to next. The pictures going around the window is an idea I got from Beth Newingham. It was their MVR (Most Valuable Reader) card that they made. They filled out info about books they like. I added a picture and printed them out and laminated them. I only wished they could be in color. I can't remember which program I used to make them... sorry! That is on my other computer. It was on the internet.... I THINK it was through some website like flikr.....And the posters are the reading posters I got also from Beth Newingham.
    [​IMG]

14. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 29, 2010

Pictures of my library.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 29, 2010

Pictures of reading posters around my library:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

October's Book Report Project- From Mrs. Renz website
    [​IMG]

16. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 30, 2010

[​IMG]

PAT is another classroom management idea that I implemented. It was more about time management, but worked GREAT!!!! I got this idea from Fred Jones.

17. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 30, 2010

This was my concepts and question BB for Open Court. That was our reading program so I'm sharing this just in case you are doing Open Court. The stars have information that the students already know and questions they want to know (it's kind of like a, I think it's called, KWL graph)
    [​IMG]

18. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 30, 2010

We held a book award ceremony every three months.

[​IMG]

19. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 30, 2010

For homework, we played Homeworkopoly. I did this every Friday during their independent social studies/science work time. Students who did their homework all week got to roll two dice.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

20. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 30, 2010

This is an idea I got from Mrs. Renz. It was a "What should I do when I'm done" type activity. :)

[​IMG]

21. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 30, 2010

My birthday BB. Just something easy and it helped to remind me when their birthday was. I kept the birthday cards and candy in the bag. :)

[​IMG]

22. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 30, 2010

This is where I wrote their homework, had the day's schedule, and team points.

[​IMG]

23. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 30, 2010

Desk Fairy!!! She visited and left a Tiger Buck (our classroom money) for a clean desk.

[​IMG]

24. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 30, 2010

This is what my classroom looked like when I first arrived. I was terrified, scared to death, and it ended up being an awesome year. I did try out a lot of new things, and in the end, it was wonderful.

[​IMG]

Actually, I felt like crying while I was working on this thread. I realized how much I missed working in a regular classroom. I am in intervention teacher and work with groups of kids throughout the day. Anyways, I hope you found an idea from my pictures! :)

25. scrapnmom24

scrapnmom24 Rookie

May 30, 2010

WOW!!!! Thank you sooo much for those awesome pictures and ideas!!! I am soo excited to try some of your ideas. I use alot of stuff from Beth Newinghams website so that will be one less thing to worry about! I LOVE the desk fairy idea!!! I am a little OCD so this will be a great motivator for the students!!! Any more ideas? LOL..You guys are all amazing!

26. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 30, 2010

Yes! I found the website! I made the MVR cards using this awesome website! http://bighugelabs.com/ Just go down to Trading Cards. :)
    I also used this website to make badges for my kids (one of the classroom jobs was to be a reporter and report events from the day).

27. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

May 30, 2010

Just a few ideas:

1. Can you team teach with one other teacher for one year? For example, she/he would teach your block of math in exchange for you teaching her/his block of writing? It would cut down on the amount of planning while you get used to the curriculum.

2. I am a logical-order learner, so I would divide the curriculum up into the areas and keep notes on what needs to be done and ideas for each area. I'd download the curriculum for that subject for the first few weeks, and start gathering interesting activities. I'd start a section for classroom management. I need things to fall into some kind of order for me to handle the move with ease. Otherwise, I get overwhelmed.

28. scrapnmom24

scrapnmom24 Rookie

May 30, 2010

I do not think that the 5th grade teachers team teach. I will find out though! That would be fantastic. I am printing out the curriculum guides now that my internet is back up! Dang storms! :) I will plan out the first few weeks ahead of time! I think it will all work out. I am just a little overwhelmed right now! LOL..

29. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 30, 2010

I did the desk fairy, too! It was quite difficult to explain that one to my non-English speaking student.... Those are great pictures, Peachy. Thanks for sharing.

I like this site because it is for 5th and 6th grades:
    http://www.teachersdesk.org/

30. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 30, 2010

Jem -

I used Calendar Math from Everyday Math, even though that was not our math text. We did buy the kits from them. I adapted some, but it was quite extensive.

Calendar Math includes:

pattern recognition
    representation of patterns in algebraic terms
    review of primes, composites, squares, roots
    plane & space figures (identify characteristics, name, area & volume)
    angle measurement and identification (we also constructed angles)
    fractions, decimals, percentages (every single day of the year)
    conversion/equivalency of the above
    measurement, standard & metric, with hands-on application
    probability theory & experiments
    daily mental math practice
    constant vocab review

I can't remember what else, it was so comprehensive. It was wonderful to touch on these topics constantly, even when we weren't focused on them during the math period of the day.

Each day's calendar took about 15 minutes. Students wrote about it in journals at the end.

31. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jun 3, 2010

I have taught fifth grade for six years. Love it! They are like big kids but still like to feel little sometimes. Feel free to pm or ask anything. Good luck!

32. scrapnmom24

scrapnmom24 Rookie

Jun 3, 2010

Thanks guys! I am very nervous! But I know I can handle it! I am just thankful to have a job. I am working on classroom management right now. Any great tips?

33. teaching4God

teaching4God Cohort

Jun 3, 2010

Behavior management! They will push their boundaries, Go in with no fear, have a plan, act like you've been a pro for years even if you haven't They need a leader and they smell fear! LOL Call all the parents within the first week, pick out the ones you will need to build close, but firm relationships with.

34. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jun 3, 2010

Just poppin in to say I am doing to opposite switch! 5th to 1st! I was really intimidated by 5th graders until I had my own classroom. I loved their independence and their sense of humor. You can do a lot with them! My class still loved getting stickers, candy, little rewards even though I wouldn't have thought that.

The poster who said something about bathroom plan-- AGREED. I did not set that up very well and I've got kids who try to go many many times a day. It is very disruptive. As I have learned, classroom management is KEY in the beginning! They will definitely push your boundaries and point out if something seems unfair.

They are great helpers! I've had them all helping me clean and pack up to move down to first. =) I had kind of a hard time, because to me they seemed more like little adults. You just have to remember that they are still kids and they are still learning appropriate behaviors.

35. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jun 4, 2010

36. rabyoga

rabyoga Rookie

Jun 8, 2010

I'm also making the big transition from 2nd to 5th. I'm very excited! I will be the writing teacher... I call myself the Grammar Ninja: Ruthless, Deadly and Articulate :p.

37. mpk

mpk New Member

Jun 24, 2010

Take one day at a time

I taught first graders for 7 years and 3 years of third and moved to fifth last year. I enjoy the age level because we can have great discussions. I love not having to be happy all the time:woot: if you know what I mean. Unfortunately, I discovered that the older the children get, the harder is is to keep that lust for learning alive. I really missed my first graders. But, you can ignite it in these older kids, and when you do it's amazing. I learned that the discipline can be very difficult unless your school has a great policy. Be loving, but firm. Keep expectations high and they will perform much better.
    Good luck.

38. kassrose

kassrose Companion

Jun 25, 2010

39. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Jun 30, 2010

I'm moving to 5th this year. I'm really excited! I taught 4th this past year. I was placed in 5th grade during student teaching. I feel like 4th/5th graders are more independent and can think for themselves. I don't think I could teach the little ones because we need to teach every little thing.

As for the bathroom system, I had a good bathroom policy until the school started locking the bathrooms. Each kid got a bathroom pass each day. If they decided not to use it, then they were placed in a drawing. The winner got a small piece of candy. This was used in 4th grade, but I plan on using it again this school year. We are getting a new P this year, so hopefully I can use this system.

40. tchrmommy1

tchrmommy1 Rookie

Jul 25, 2010

I made the switch from 1st (for 8 years) to 5th last year and it was the best thing that ever happened to me! I, too, was petrified and felt so out of my element, but I found that 5th graders are so much fun! It's a great grade to teach and you will do fine!

41. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Aug 30, 2010

These are great web sites. The only subject that really freaks me out is MATH. Omg, am I supposed to know all of it?