New to 4th...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teacherwithlove, Jun 23, 2013.

1. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Jun 23, 2013

Okay, since most of you know- I had an interview last week and was offered a 3rd grade position. When I went in to sign my contract, HR basically said that a teacher with seniority wanted the 3rd position, so I got switched to 4th. Bummer.

Anywho, I've never taught 4th grade before and I'm very nervous now. I'm so used to working in primary that I feel like I'm not cut out for intermediate.

Does anyone have an advice for me? Can I get away with decorating my room in colorful chevron and polka dots? Or is that too primary-teacherish?

Also, what can I expect from teaching 4th grade? I'm worried!

3. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jun 23, 2013

4th grade is wonderful. If you enjoy 3rd grade I am willing to bet you may enjoy 4th more. They are more independent learners. You can definitely dress up your room as you did in lower grades.

4. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2013

I went from 4th to 3rd and wish I could go back to 4th! 4th graders really aren't that different from 3rd graders (at the end of the year.) When 3rd graders come in they're still babies. 4th graders are already a little more mature, follow directions more quickly, catch on to classroom procedures more quickly. But they're still young kids and they still enjoy all the same fun activities and read alouds and storybook characters that 3rd graders like.