New to 4th grade

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by MichieB, Aug 5, 2007.

1. MichieB

MichieB Rookie

Aug 5, 2007

Hello Everyone,
    I have been reading this website for 2 years now and I finally got around to actually registering. I have been teaching Prek for 4 years now and I have landed a 4th grade position...yay me!! Anyways, I would love any advice I can get on what to expect from this age group. For example, should I look for tacks on my seat before I sit down? :lol: I am use to always walking in to class and being very happy, happy, happy but I have heard I need to be very stern the first couple of weeks and let the kids know who is boss. How are the first couple of days? Should they be completely structured like the rest of the year or are they usually pretty chaotic? I am use to spending the first week trying to get everyone to stop crying! Then looking forward to my glass of wine when I get home.:p So any advice would be great!! Thanks in advance!!

3. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 5, 2007

You always have to be stern to an extent, but I'll admit most of the time I am very happy around my students (even in the beginning).

No tacks or whoopee cushions...

I think in every grade that we sometimes need the wine... :woot:

Besides that, the students are very independent for the most part, write about genres now more than just stories, most of the time have a grasp on multiplication, and love books (as long as you have a good variety for them!).

4. TXTeacher4

TXTeacher4 Companion

Aug 6, 2007

I love fourth grade! They are still pretty innocent. They are independent and don't need constant reminders (most of the time). They love school and their teacher. They get excited over the small stuff that you do for them... Like giving them each a pencil eraser or a sticker on a spelling test.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 6, 2007

Well, I don't think you'd want it chaotic, but it's fine to have fun while you are all getting to know each other and the routines. My rule is that we have fun with what we are doing, but the focus must be on what we are doing. No gabbing about movies or friends or things other than our lesson.

6. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 6, 2007

Certainly. :up:

Kids remember the exciting times when they bonded with classmates and their teacher- and had fun learning in the process.

7. 100%Canadian

100%Canadian Companion

Aug 6, 2007

First impressions go a long way. I tried the "nice guy" routine in my second year.....disaster! You can still be friendly and happy, just always keep that edge that separates you from them. The first couple of days is a honeymoon phase; most just sit and listen but as time goes by and they get used to you, things tend to heat up. Stay on them for the first month or so (depending on your group). Once they know where they stand with you, the rest comes easy. I find it's easier putting out the little fires with some stern talk rather than wait for a bigger blaze to erupt.

8. MichieB

MichieB Rookie

Aug 6, 2007

thanks

Thank you everyone!!!!:2up: You helped with my anxiety a lot. I was wondering how similar it would be to teaching younger children. It is starting to look like I can incorporate a lot of my previous knowledge, working in PreK, with my 4th graders. Good to know that I won't be looking out for woopie cushions. :lol: I am very excited about this year and I am also excited about how quickly I got responses on here. Thanks again!!!!!