New to 4th Grade Social Studies...Need Fun Ideas

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by blondie77, Aug 9, 2009.

1. blondie77

blondie77 Rookie

Aug 9, 2009

I teach third grade, but this year 3rd and 4th will switch for science and social studies. I know 4th graders learn all about our state and the regions of the US. How can I make this fun? Any good projects out there? Thanks!:)

3. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Aug 9, 2009

Salt dough maps are fun...not sure of directions, but I'm sure it can be found on google. You could have groups make one of the regions of the US. Could go farther with research about each region & how it is different from others, what makes it special, etc.

Also, could you work with the english teacher on this one: one of my colleagues always had students write a letter to the chambers of commerce for each county in the state asking for information. then she posted a map of the state on the wall in the hallway. As info arrived, students had to summarize 3 important things about their county on an index card (4x6) then connected it with a string to the county on the map. Nice display & targets many standards.

4. david37

david37 New Member

Aug 9, 2009

I've taught 4th grade for 6 years, and last year I finally did something truly different for social studies -- I had the children create lapbooks. Just google it and you can find many different ideas and templates. It was a lot of work, so this year I'll scale it back, but overall it was a lot of fun.

I liked it because it involved lots of 'craft' type activites. Even though I had 32 students, most could do it unaided. I did heavily guide them with the content of the lapbooks, though.

5. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 9, 2009

6. Zanity

Zanity Rookie

Aug 9, 2009

For each era or important event we did something... So for the Boston Tea Party we had a tea party and tried different tea's and a parent made scones. We also dressed up one time. We also did the dough maps. Some kids were not to thrilled about it others loved it. In the stated I taught social studies there were so many facts that they needed to know for the end of grades that we made fact cards and I had them decorate them to match the fact.

7. Miss Butterfly

Miss Butterfly Rookie

Aug 10, 2009

I LOVE teaching 4th grade social studies! Like someone else mentioned, salt dough maps are a great activity. I have some photos of the maps my kiddos made...will have to see if I can find them.

I also do "State-in-a-Box", where each kiddo is assigned a state to research. In the end, they decorate a shoe box with symbols/famous people/etc. The inside of the box is for artifacts (Hawaii might get a can of pineapple, Maine a pinecone, etc). If I can find the requirement list and instructions I created last year, I'll email you a copy.

Scholastic has a great resource book called "Spectacular State Project Reports that Work for Any State"...or something like that. It has some great ideas for projects--I use a lot of them throughout the year.

8. Miss Butterfly

Miss Butterfly Rookie

Aug 10, 2009

Oh, one more thing!!

Not sure if you teach Tall Tales (it's one of our required reading genres for the year), but I like teaching them in respect to the US regions (Paul Bunyan and Old Stormalong=Maine)

9. ksteacher

ksteacher New Member

Aug 7, 2012

I just found your post and would love to see your requirement list ans instructions for your "State-in-a-Box" project! I am enclosing my email if you are willing to share your expertise!
    rking@usd256.net

10. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Aug 7, 2012

Wow! Ms. Jasztal- I wish I was teaching SS again. I am switching with the other 4th grade teacher and I will be doing the Science. Any exciting ideas for Science? ;)