New to 4th and need GUIDED READING ideas

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by firecallie, Jul 27, 2008.

1. firecallie

firecallie Rookie

Jul 27, 2008

Hi I am new to fourth grade (reading only) and was looking for guided reading ideas or lessons. I am not sure how I am going to approach my guided reading time. I do not know whether to go towards literature circles or teaching mini-lessons during small group time. What do you do during your guided reading time?

Thanks!

3. stac4742

stac4742 Rookie

Jul 27, 2008

Hi!
    Yes, Guided Reading groups can be a little bit of a challenge to think about the management. I think it's best to get the feel of your kids first. I most definitely try literature circles later in the year when you can group the students more effectively where they will actually do what you expect. I have had experiences where the kids use that time to do "other things". I plan to start the year by grouping the kids in 4-5, and rotating them where I give a mini lesson on the reading skill, then have the students practice the skill, those who have "got it" may leave the table while I then wok more closely with the students who have not. I will definitely model, model, model the literature circles first with a small group at a time before I send them off to do it themselves.
    While with my guided reading group, the other kiddos are engaged in silent reading and then later wil do centers:
    -buddy reading
    -listening center
    -reading skill board game
    -vocabulary center
    -writing center
    -etc. ;)

4. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Jul 28, 2008

I'll do GR w/my "target" group and possibly the next group. But w/my 2 top groups I'll do lit circles because they'll get "bored" and don't necessarily need the GR structure. There was a thread somewhere around here about possible centers to implement. I like to do:
    Weekly Reader
    Math
    Science
    Spelling packet
    Spelling activities
    Poetry
    Journal
    Art activity
    Buddy read
    Read to self

Children turn these in, I check them, if they're complete I cross it off a list with their name and centers on it. If it's not I write a little note on it for corrections. Not all center work has to be corrected/turned in/reviewed/graded so be careful with that otherwise you'll be overwhelmed!

5. zoodies

zoodies Rookie

Aug 4, 2008

I do similar ideas as GD2BQN, we target our reading plan kids in the GR groups. We have strategic groups for specific skills we are working on that the rest of the students may be struggling w/. If there are a few not getting inferencing, I pull them aside and work on a mini lesson for 2 days w/ them. Our GR target groups meets 2 days back to back. The first day is to introduce the material to be read, the questions I want them to think about while reading(centered around the skill-usually only 3 at the most), then they read the selection to themselves. Good time to do running records w/ them individually over the material. The 2nd day we meet, openly discuss what they learned. Journal the answers and then share their answers as a group to see if they make sense. I like to make them write the pg. # of where the answer was in the book to work on finding details. That is always one of my questions. Could be thick or thin question. Not sure if that helped?

6. MsRafuse

MsRafuse Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

You NEED the book Guiding Readers and Writer by fountas and Pinnell. It is full of very clear and useable ideas. It is fabulous!!

7. Mrs_B

Mrs_B Comrade

Aug 6, 2008

I agree with MsRafuse! That book will help you a lot!!!