New to 2nd grade

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by rainyday, Jan 7, 2008.

1. rainyday

rainyday Rookie

Jan 7, 2008

I have taught grade 3 for years. This year I have been given a grade 2 class. I have heard that the kids are really low. Some aren't even reading yet! I have gone over some of their work from grade 1 and I am in a stressing. What am I going to do with these kids?

3. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Jan 11, 2008

Try to get parental support. Maybe try to have a information session after school. Provide food and extra credit for those that attend. Give the parents strategies for working with their children. Explain that you cannot do it alone. You are a team.

Try to ask for parent volunteers or older student volunteers to come listen to and or go over sight word flashcards daily.

You might want to consider having students set goals, individual and class. This might motivate them to work hard to achieve the academic goals that they set. If they make it, they can be rewarded.

Good luck!!!

4. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jan 12, 2008

You'll be fine. First you need to personally assess them (DRA,DSA, etc...) to find out where they are. It's important for you to do the tests because the original person may test differently from you. I have found that kids that I get are usually lower or higher than what their previous teacher reported. They grow over the summer. 2nd grade is a year that students grow quickly, and begin to soak up the information. Once you know where each student is, then you can begin to meet their needs (either individually or small group). I have students who range from a end of Kindergarten level, to an end of 4th grade level. We'll help you and give you support and ideas when you need it. Don't panic yet.

5. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Jan 20, 2008

The best thing you can do first is those assessments Miss W suggested, and establish a routine. Using something like the Daily 5 by the Two Sisters, or some kind of centers system will give you the time to work with small groups. The key to having a class that's all over the place and making it work is to work with those groups. Second graders can be very independent if you show them how and have clear procedures and expectations put in place. Good luck!

6. dbcteacher

dbcteacher Rookie

Feb 5, 2008

Mrs100,
    What is this Daily 5 by the Two Sisters? I have had a similar problem for 2 years and may have another one next year. We are as a school trying to fix the problem (not all the students' faults) but in the mean time I really worry whether I'm doing enough and if I'm being efficient with my time. I am open to suggestions just like rainyday.