New to 2nd Grade

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by teach12, Jul 10, 2012.

1. teach12

teach12 Companion

Jul 10, 2012

I am moving to 2nd grade after six years of teaching 1st grade! Please share your favorite/most important/must haves items for 2nd grade!

3. Ilovesummer

Ilovesummer Companion

Jul 10, 2012

You'll love 2nd grade! This will be my 4th year in 2nd grade. Before this, I taught 4th grade for 4 years. It was a huge adjustment, to go from the end of 4th grade to the beginning of 2nd grade, but once I was used to it, I LOVE it! They grow soooo much in 2nd grade, and they have such great little personalities!

4. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2012

Welcome to 2nd grade! Hmmm...must haves? Patience! lol But coming from first, you know the whole modeling deal :) I'm a big fan of dance parties in my room because we have such a jam packed schedule, so I highly recommend a cd player and some high energy kids cds.

Other things I love are flash cards for sight words, word patterns/chunks, and math facts; dry erase boards; chart paper and markers; and joke books. :) I know I'm forgetting a lot, but coming from 1st grade, I think you'll have an easier time adjusting than someone coming down from a higher grade. :D

5. Roobunny

Roobunny Comrade

Jul 18, 2012

Leigh,

I want to incorporate music into my 2nd grade classroom. What high energy CDs do you recommend?

6. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2012

If you've taught first then second is going to be a blast for you. You probably have everything you need. Enjoy.

7. Ms.Hatcher

Ms.Hatcher New Member

Jul 27, 2012

I just accepted a second grade position today and this will be my first year teaching. I am excited but yet soooo nervous. I will be entering my classroom for the first time this upcoming Monday. I just knew I would have it all together, but reality has just kicked in. I seem to have butterflies in my stomach and feel a bit confused as to where I should begin (as far as my classroom is concerned). School starts August 8th for the students, so I do have time to get everything in gear. Is it normal to feel confused and a bit loss? I had no idea I was going to feel this way. The more I think about it, the more I get butterflies. I graduated December 2011, so me getting this position is Heaven sent. What should be my number one focus? How do I go about planning things each day until the first day of school? Please give me some advice if you can. Any advice will help this first year teacher.

8. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Jul 27, 2012

Your number one focus should be on behavior management and getting to know the curriculum. The other fancy bells and whistles are nice, but those two are the most urgent.

I taught second grade for three years and loved it. It is a great age group.

Best wishes... :thumb:

9. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2012

Some tips...
    -Be PREPARED every day! They can sense when you are not.
    -You need your sense of humor and your health so
    take care of #1.
    -Make music a part of your curriculum; a great help for the children.
    C'grats, and have fun!
    Rebel1

10. Ms.Hatcher

Ms.Hatcher New Member

Jul 28, 2012

Thank you both for the advice:)...Can anyone please describe their first day in the classroom? How did you feel?

11. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Jul 28, 2012

You'll do great! :thumb:

12. chrissy1214phx

chrissy1214phx Rookie

Jun 12, 2013

Mrs. Hatcher, I am with you. I will be teaching for the first time ever this year and second grade is my placement. I am excited, but also feeling lost as to where to begin. I have read up on Love and Logic and also Wong's the first day of school for helpful suggestions. I am really focusing on behavior managemnt and routines routines routines. I am not able to get into my class until July 8 and school starts with the students on the 22. Orientation is the week before. I wish I could get info on curriculum so I could plan................
    Some things I know I want to do are use music to settle the kids and also energize them when needed. I prefer classical music in the morinings... I have baby bach and baby mozart cd's for that...
    I want to do alot of writing!!! so I will be doing journaling.... I also want to do a morning meeting calendar, weather, etc...

13. chrissy1214phx

chrissy1214phx Rookie

Jun 14, 2013

:help:Ms. Hatcher, I will be teaching for the very first time in 2nd grade this year as well... we can help each other out.

14. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 14, 2013

I adore second graders. They work hard, truly want to please, and make huge strides!

Some of my must-haves:
    --dry erase boards (or sheet protectors with a sheet of tag board inside), dry erase markers, and erasers (I cut up felt squares and use as erasers...they last all year).
    --TREASURE CHEST (with goodies such as pencils, stickers, bookmarks, erasers, and other things from the dollar store).
    --one last thing: do not forget to model, model, model. Show (not just tell) them how to line up, what the inside of their desk should look like, how to turn in homework/class assignments, etc. They need visuals--lots of 'em.

15. chrissy1214phx

chrissy1214phx Rookie

Jun 14, 2013

excellent advice Young Teacher Guy................... anything else for the first day/ week?

16. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 15, 2013

My two most favorite first day books are: First Day Jitters and Wemberly Worried.

Also, the kids have to punch in their ID numbers when they go to lunch, so I make copies of the key pad (and attach a sticker with their name and ID number) so they can practice entering their ID number before they go through the lunch line.

Here's the clip chart I use for behavior. A lot of teachers make their own instead of purchasing one. This is the one I've purchased in the past. It has lasted me about three years so far: http://www.newmanagement.com/ebooks/pdf/clip_chart_ebook.pdf