New to 1st

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by clynns, Aug 5, 2010.

1. clynns

clynns Companion

Aug 5, 2010

Hi! This year I will be teaching a K/1 combo. I have taught K for four years so I feel fairly comfortable with K. I'm just wondering the main concepts that 1st graders learn. In my state K students are required to read a Rigby level 4 before going to first grade. Thanks for the scoop on first!

3. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2010

What state are you in?

4. MMRbella

MMRbella Companion

Aug 8, 2010

In math: addition, subtraction, counting patterns (2s, 5s, 10s), place value (to tens and ones place), counting money (combinations of pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters), geometry and fractions (halves, thirds, fourths), measurement (length in inches/cent/feet; capacity in cups/pints/quarts/liters; weight in lbs/kilograms; temperature...), time (to the hour and half hour), problem solving, completing patterns, graphing...

In reading/language arts:
    sight words, decoding skills, fluency, comprehension strategies, capitalization, punctuation, proofreading, writing well constructed sentences (subject and predicate)...

Ideally, students will be reading on level I (or above) at the end of the school year... though in my experience most students pass that level, several reach it, and a few finish on a lower level.

:)