new to 1st grade

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by CRD3, Jul 24, 2005.

1. CRD3

CRD3 Rookie

Jul 24, 2005

Help, I need ideas! The teachers in our school were assigned new classrooms and I was given 1st grade(was a 3rd grade teacher). I am not even sure how to start my day out. Should I do calender, weather, etc.? Do you still have to have extra play time or recess? Do you still do a snack or just a milk break? I am very excited now but also very nervous-any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Also, any good web sites?

Thanks and can't wait to hear from you!

3. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 24, 2005

We check in planners and library books, next the pledge, calender and weather the first things. As they check in their planners, moose books or whatever you use. They are to sharpener their pencils at least three and go to the bathroom. While waiting for you to check in, take lunch count, collect money and etc. Have something on their desk to do. Dot to Dot, ABC dot to dot, a maze with coloring if they don't finish ok put it in their planner to take home and finish --do not bring back... A over size themometer in the window so they learn to read the temperature, who cares if it isn't exact. Hands on learning. The first morning have a tri-pod 3 inches by 8 inches in the upper corner of their desk --first name front and back, these stay on all year. Gives them ownership, wonderful for you the first days, super for subs, Paras and guest. They keep their pencils in the tri-pod. It is wonderful they aren't always digging in their desk, making noise and hunting a pencil. If they start to tear the names off. Quickly give everyone a piece of candy. (couple M&Ms work wonderful) Miss that student you have their attention, "I want some candy". "Oh you didn't follow directions", give them some tape and when they have it fixed they get a piece of candy but not the second time. Also put a can of play dough on each desk to keep the first ones busy while you greet the next ones and wipe away the tears. Kissing Hand is a wonderful book for the first day, about Chester the Raccoon. I have a paper sack pattern for Chester, if you'd like a copy. I buy animal cookies, graham crackers, and etc. Not everyday. If they ask do you have treats for us. "Not today, did you bring something to share"

4. CRD3

CRD3 Rookie

Jul 25, 2005

Thanks for the ideas. The pencil sharpenening idea is great as most kids want to sharpen all the time! I will also use the idea of putting a dot to dot or something on their desks while they wait. Thanks

5. skelley

skelley Rookie

Jul 25, 2005

I've been teaching first grade for 5 years. I think that it has to be the most rewarding grade to teach because you see sooooo much growth in your students from the beginning of the year to the end. It is also a very difficult grade to teach. I wanted to give you my basic schedule and maybe that would help:
    7:35-7:55 Morning Work (Usually DOL, DOM), Pledge, Announcements, Attendance, Lunch Count
    7:55-8:15 Calendar, Weather, Daily News, Morning Meeting
    8:15-8:55 Math (I find it is more beneficial to do math in the morning, the kids seem more alert)
    8:55-9:10 Restroom, Drinks, Snack
    9:10-9:30 Phonics
    9:30-9:35 Brain Break
    9:35-10:45 Guided Reading Groups, Centers, Indpendent Work
    Lunch
    11:30-12:00 Whole Group Reading/Grammar, Writing Lesson
    Then we usally have a special class, recess, and then we do Science and Social Studies. We also do art, story times, share times, poetry notebooks, etc in the afternoons depending on the day of the week. Hope that this helps! Good luck! ;)

6. CRD3

CRD3 Rookie

Jul 25, 2005

Thanks, the schedule really helps. Do you have the kids bring in their own snacks? We provide the milk for a small fee but I was unsure how to handle snack. I know some teachers collect money and buy the snacks for the year. I am not sure how to handle this. Thanks for your other suggestions.

7. skelley

skelley Rookie

Jul 26, 2005

Yes, the kids bring in their own snack everyday. My kids are generally from a middle to low income status and most bring snacks, but I usually have a couple that are consistently without a snack. I can't stand to see that, so I buy pretzels or animal crackers and give to those kiddos. Dont' buy anything too tasty because if you do, you will have several of the kids "forgetting" their snack - oh yes, first graders are very sneaky! I have seen people do snack calendars and have parents take a week and send in snack items for the whole class their week, which is fine, but it just seems like more work for the teacher. Hope that helps. :D

8. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 26, 2005

8:05 Morning Recess... a time when buses arrive and students eat breakfast, Home work folders are turned in and pencils sharpened at least 3
    8:20 Students work on DLR/DMR ---activity sheets
    8:30 Morning activities attendance. lunch count. pledge. calendar. weather. surprise box. ---it's a plastic box, students take turns taking it home and bringing some thing to share. (show and tell)
    8:45 four block guided reading
    10:10 recess
    10:25 math
    11:00 lunch
    11:30 animated literacy/handwriting/SW. review
    12:00 spelling
    12:20 music and PE
    1:10 science and social studies
    1:40 AR
    2:15 Spanish
    2:30 recess
    2:40 fill out homework planners, pass out papers, put in bookbags
    2:45 story and milk ---treats, birthday party treats, and etc
    3:00 computer lab
    3:30 dismiss

9. CRD3

CRD3 Rookie

Jul 26, 2005

Thanks so much for all the help. There are many great ideas--I have a feeling I am going to be busy but should be lots of fun!

10. kkelly

kkelly New Member

Jul 26, 2005

What a coincidence

I taught first grade for four years and loved it. This year I am moving to third grade and would love any advice from experienced third grade teachers. I agree that first grade is probably the most rewarding year. The students change and grow so much. They seem so young and inexperienced at the beginning of the year, but by the end of the year they can probably run the show on their own. Their progress is amazing.
    Routines and procedures are very important in first grade. The day goes so much smoother if the students know what to expect next. It also saves you from hearing "What are we doing next?" an infinite number of times.
    The most important thing I learned in my four years as a first grade teacher: Don't underestimate what they can do. That goes for the good and bad. They aren't too young to be responsible for jobs, tasks or their actions.
    Good luck in your new adventure!

11. Sarah Leigh Ann

Sarah Leigh Ann Companion

Jul 26, 2005

I agree with all the teachers above- I am still learning new things. Our grade level works in teams which made my teaching so much easier. We do not have a set snack time at school because most of the students do not have the money to buy snacks. I sometimes buy snacks for the whole class but I often forget to pick something up. They really don't miss it.
    Our morning routine is to turn in homework, put up their belongings and turn in notes/money for book fair and other things to me. We don't have lunch counts or anything like that.
    If you have a lot of level books then you may have your students read independently in the morning. I am going to try to have literature circles in the morning four days a week.
    I love first grade and could not imagine teaching anything else. They really do make so much progress and they are still young enough to think you are a supermodel.

12. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 27, 2005

See if your grade does a school tour. Our students are new to the building and we do a guided tour of the school. We go through rules of the hallway, computer room, playground (then let them play for about 10 min.), and cafeteria. We then let them practice going through the lunch line and dumping their tray. See if you can get a hold of another 1st grade teacher from your school. They may have more information for you. If you don't know any, ask your principal if you can get the number of one. It usually takes us all morning to get through the 1st day of school stuff that we're scheduled to do. If you have school wide events on that day, you might not have to plan that much.

13. CRD3

CRD3 Rookie

Jul 28, 2005

Thanks again for the ideas. KKelly, you will live third grade. They are very independent but love their teacher too! I am excited for 1st grade but will miss the 3rd graders.

14. mmis

mmis Companion

Aug 1, 2005

I am so excited for you! 1st grade is awesome! My school has an intervention time every a.m. from 8:15-8:45. This is extra time set aside for all teachers in the school to work with struggling students. My students must be able to work independently during this time. I've found that a daily math word problem(in which they must use pictures to show the answer) and DOL is a great way to get started. That lasts for maybe 10 minutes. I believe that students should read and read and read. So after that, my students read "just right" books by themselves and with other students. This doesn't start however until the 3rd or 4th week of school and my first graders understand the basic rules of the classroom and they also have enough "just right" books to choose from.
    **The hardest part for me at the beginning of each year, is to slow down and carefully explain everything I want them to do. You must model(usually more than once) first. You may think they know what you're talking about- but they often don't. The beauty of this age is that they want to learn and they want to please. They are motivated! :angel:

15. CRD3

CRD3 Rookie

Aug 2, 2005

Wow-the intervention time is a cool idea. I may try this just in my classroom. I agree with the reading. Yes, I need to remind myself to slow down and take my time. That is different than 3rd grade! We go a little quicker. Thanks for your ideas.