New threads

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by RaiderFan87, Aug 4, 2018.

1. RaiderFan87

RaiderFan87 Rookie

Aug 4, 2018

Lost some weight and need some new work clothes. Thinking of stepping up the wardrobe a bit. I know there aren't a ton of guys on this forum, but what do the guys at your site normally wear to work? Do they get dressed up? I'm more of a jeans and button down shirt type of guy--pretty casual.

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 4, 2018

My DH wears the same thing every day. He wears dress slacks and a polo. He doesn’t like the cotton polos, though. They tend to look worn our after a few washings. He likes the dry fit ones. When we met, he had lost 100 pounds, and he was still wearing a lot of the same clothes. We bought him a whole new wardrobe. He can’t wear jeans at work. He doesn’t even own a pair. He does wear a school T-shirt on Fridays.

Guys at my school are usually khaki/polo guys, but a few wear dress slacks and a button down with a tie. We can’t wear jeans either.

4. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Aug 4, 2018

We're at a very casual school with no real dress code. I see the men wearing a lot of dress pants and polos.

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 4, 2018

My district is casual. From August-October, most of the male teachers wear shorts to work as it's pretty hot over here. I agree with ImaTeacher...the Dri-FIT polos look nice.

Last year, we had several days in August and September where the kids couldn't go outside for recess because of heat advisories (temps over 105 degrees).

6. Aces

Aces Habitué

Aug 5, 2018

We're pretty relaxed and there's not really a real dress code (at least not one that's overtly enforced). The only real 'rules' are that guys have to have a collared shirt, and said shirt has to be tucked in; no profanity or otherwise offensive material, no references to drugs or violence on clothing. So your shirt that says "Smoke Weed Everyday" is on the no-fly list.

I try to have a little variety in my wardrobe. So I might wear a polo and slacks, polo and jeans, button down and slacks, button down and jeans, polo and khaki/green cargo pants, etc. On warmer days, I might wear khaki cargo shorts and polo. If I know we're going outside for class that day - which is prone to happen - it's usually either jeans or cargo pants. If it's cold out, I have some pants which are made out of fire hose which is insanely comfortable and warm. And if I'm feeling a little bit theatrical or off the wall, I might dress up. For instance for the first day of school (is always freshmen-only) I plan on dressing up as a Roman Senator. During the freshmen assembly I plan on giving at least part of the speech from Julius Caesar:
    "Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears;
    I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him.
    The evil that men do lives after them;
    The good is oft interred with their bones;
    So let it be with Caesar."

Guitart likes this.
  7. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 5, 2018

Two guys at my school. One wears khakis and polo or long sleeve shirt and the other wears shorts and polo or T-shirt almost every day. They both wear shirts and ties on conference nights.
    We are a pretty casual building. Most wear jeans and district T-shirt on Fridays, but we could wear jeans any day.

8. JimG

JimG Comrade

Aug 5, 2018

At my high school, most of us wear gray, blue, or khaki pants with a button-down or polo. In this region (Ozarks), ties are a rarity for male teachers to wear. However, every now and then, if I had a rough night or morning, I will put a tie on in order to “fake it to make it.” Surprisingly, it often works.

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 5, 2018

My son works in Northern Virginia, and jean are out, khaki pants are the norm, and any kind of business casual shirt is acceptable, which will include the polo shirts, as well as long sleeve button down shirts. My understanding is that the A/C is cold enough to make the sleeves a prudent choice. He adds a tie when appropriate. Jeans are a "spirit day" kind of thing, not common.

10. Guitart

Guitart Companion

Aug 5, 2018

I'm same as all above: Dockers style pants and polos for the most part. I also wear a few short sleeve, button down printed shirts - like tourist fashion. Jeans and school spirit wear on Fri.

11. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 5, 2018

Khakis and similar type pants, button downs, or a polo shirt. That's pretty much the standard for most guys. We do have a few who still wear ties as well but that's definitely optional.
    Hubby wears basically that to his job and he loves Gap, Banana Republic, etc...

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 15, 2018

For men, I the style that Express, Macy's, and Nordstrom has, but you can find it cheaper at SteinMart, Marshalls, and TJMaxx.

If I was a guy, nice jeans and casual slacks, a nice shirt or polo, with good shoes and a belt would be my "work uniform". If the occasion calls for a tie, I'll have several of them on hand to wear too, but I probably wouldn't wear them daily.