New Textbooks and Instructional Materials Delayed

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Perpetual Love, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Perpetual Love

Perpetual Love Rookie

Aug 26, 2011

Due to the changes in the textbook ordering system some new textbooks and instructional materials are being delayed in reaching our local schools.

The state Legislature wouldn't let the textbook coordinators order textbooks until August. Due to the late legislative session and changes in how districts order textbooks, school districts weren't able to begin ordering textbooks until August 8. Schools normally order textbooks in April, and usually new books arrive over the summer.

How does the changes in the ordering process affecting your lesson planning?

:dizzy:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2011

My school uses very few textbooks, so it wouldn't affect me.

How is it affecting YOUR classroom, Perpetual?

4. Perpetual Love

Perpetual Love Rookie

Aug 26, 2011

Its been said that not having the new textbooks to start the new school year makes it a little tricky to plan lessons. When you don't have them to review beforehand, it just means extra time in making up lesson plans but it's not the end of the world. It just makes it a little harder when you don't have those textbooks or workbooks to supplement what you're doing.

5. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 26, 2011

I started last year without textbooks - I didn't put my order in until 2 weeks before school started. So, I improvised. I did a different novel study than I would have liked because the set I ordered hadn't arrived. I did a bit of extra photocopying out of another text until more arrived.

If you rely solely on the text for your courses, you may need to be creative. Luckily I didn't have to rely on specific text and was still able to teach.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2011

I understand it would be difficult if textbooks were a main component of your program. I don't plan lessons around textbooks, I have only a math text in my classroom, and still I hardly use it.

What grade/content area do you teach, Perpetual? Couldn't you utilize materials already in the building until the new texts arrive?

7. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 26, 2011

How about beginning the year with a project that activates prior knowledge of the course content? Depending on the age of your students, you can review, and reteach as needed, the components of researching a topic. Students can prepare presentations for their classmates. Your textbooks should arrive by the end of this unit.

8. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Aug 26, 2011

We are still waiting on our materials to come in (promised to get here next week, doubt it).

Until then we have been "winging" it basically. Copying stuff from this time last year for phonics/reading, trying a new math program that we had... purchased but never used.

We have been writing plans for next week though, that use the incoming materials, just in case....

9. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 26, 2011

Most of my lessons revolve around the textbook. However, I could do without one, now that my lessons have been created. It would be really difficult for me to create a curriculum without texts. I lecture with powerpoints. I'd be lost without those. When student teaching I never used a ppt. I don't even remember how I taught then!

*I* use the text far more than the students do. I use the accompanying test bank, the overhead transparencies and the teacher notes in the teacher's edition. This year I'm not assigning texts to the students. I'm hoping it works out fine.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2011

I design my lessons based on content standards. Textbooks aren't always aligned with state and district standards.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2011

I think textbooks help give an outline of the course. They give a suggested sequence, though we seldom follow it. Honestly, at this point my biggest planning guide is last year's planbook.

The easy fix is to pick up another textbook-- just one for you. You can probably find one at a local bookstore.

For me, it would be a problem for homework. I would end up running off homework examples.

Beyond that, my kids are told to leave their textbooks home.

12. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 27, 2011

I use a textbook that I like to help me plan. I don't find much educational value in a 13 yr old science text. Besides, most texts are either below or over student abilities. I like the Glencoe Earth Science textbook, but wouldn't give it to my students. Their eyes would glaze over and they wouldn't try to read it.

I give my students lots of supplemental reading that I think is more authentic anyway.