New Test in CA for Early Completion Option

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by jazzminjoy, Jun 22, 2007.

1. 3littlemonkeys

3littlemonkeys Comrade

Aug 18, 2007

Ohhhh, so it's not CA requiring it, it's the specific credential program. Ok, that's so much better. I'm sure I'll hear of any extra requirements directly from my program, then, if any exist. Haven't even been to orientation yet. I was afraid that I'd do my whole program, apply for my credential, and be denied because I hadn't volunteered!

2. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 18, 2007

The programs that I've seen requiring it generally require documentation as part of the application to get into the program.

3. srh

srh Devotee

Aug 18, 2007

When I was applying to my credential program (2004), there was a place in the paperwork asking for my "experience." At that time, it was ALL volunteer, and 90% was church-related: children's church, directing Vacation Bible School, Sunday School, extra kids events and activities, etc. They simply wanted to know I had some idea of where I was going. I can understand though, why some programs would require more specific school experience--I was in the program with some people that I really wondered about!! (By that I mean, they had no patience for kids, resisted hard work, shortcutted assignments like crazy, etc. Perhaps the 30 hours is to express a "good faith effort" to reach a difficult goal!)

4. Cal

Cal Rookie

Aug 18, 2007

If they'd accept my four years experience teaching students of all incomes and abilities as a proxy, I wouldn't object. I am so certain that they won't accept it that I haven't even gotten around to asking, because I'll be annoyed when they say no. There's absolutely no mention of substitute experience accepted.

And I'm sorry, but a teaching credential is not a "difficult goal" in the normal sense of the word. The hoops are onerous. The instruction and the level of intelligence required is not.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 18, 2007

If I were you, Cal, I'd ask, really and truly. And I'd prepare by finding out what sort of documentation of hours and what sort of additional written exercise is expected, and I'd volunteer to provide the parts that correspond with the spirit of the Field Experience exercise.

What have you got to lose?

6. donnaw

donnaw Rookie

Aug 20, 2007

With regards to the ECO program, to be able to secure a job offer without a credential points to evidence that they are quailified to an early completion.
    From their website, it looks like the total tuition cost of Alliant's ECO program comes out about the same as a full-length cal state program's. Also, isn't financial aid limited at private universities? I don't think the ECO is being kept secret, I think it simply does not fit the needs of the average person seeking a teaching credential (me).

7. GoGators

GoGators Rookie

Feb 6, 2010

Hey Career Changer,

I'm also in the middle of a career change. I've passed the CBEST, all 3 Math CSET's and as you said, the myserious TFE Math test. I'm looking into Alliant, but if there are other schools that would take that TFE exam (like National), I would certainly be interested. Any research you've done on the matter would be great, if you want to pass it along. Does National work the same way as Alliant in that you have to get a job offer to do their Early Completion Option? Thanks.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 6, 2010

GoGators, what you might try at this point is checking EdJoin for openings for math teachers, then seeing if the district's big enough that it might be interested in taking you on as an intern. The fact that you've got all the tests passed already could stand you in very good stead. You might also see whether your local CSUs, or any of the other bricks-and-mortar credential programs, would be willing to work out something with you... stranger things have happened, and you won't know till you ask.

Am I correct in inferring that you're in San Diego County?

9. Pamazon

Pamazon New Member

Jun 1, 2011

What did you use (books, websites) for your independent research and studying. ? Thanks, Pam