New Team Leader

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by QuigleK, Aug 3, 2006.

1. QuigleK

QuigleK Rookie

Aug 3, 2006

This year I was asked to be the Kindergarten team leader by our principal. I am looking forward to the opportunity, but I am a little worried because I am still young and have been teaching only 4 years. I think I am a good teacher with good leadership potential which is I assume is why she asked. I was just wondering if anyone has some good advice for me. Thanks so much! :)

3. Julie

Julie Rookie

Aug 3, 2006

I was in the same boat a few years ago. I was team leader my 3rd and 4th years of teaching as well as young. The only advice, keep the communication open between your teammates because there are so many personalities to contend with.

where in NC are you?

julie

4. kinderteach3

kinderteach3 Rookie

Aug 3, 2006

Hi!! I am the new Team Leader for K in my school.... and this is my SECOND year teaching!!! Ahh! (Granted: The other K teacher- previous team leader- switched grades, so I am the only one left in K with experience) BUT I am also nervous and would love pointers. I haven't met the new K teacher but have met 2 hopefuls. Both are older than me, and have more experience teaching, just not with K... although I know the grade and school expectations, I still feel weird that I will be the "go-to" person for these other older/experienced teachers.... Ahh!

5. QuigleK

QuigleK Rookie

Aug 3, 2006

I'm in Winston-Salem! How about you?

6. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 3, 2006

I'm not sure exactly what "team leader" means. In our school we have an official "grade level chair," but all four of us usually meet to plan, discuss, make decisions, etc. I guess my advice to you would be, as a pp mentioned, make sure you communicate. LISTEN to the members of your team. If you need something from them, make sure you let them know in a timely manner.

7. Julie

Julie Rookie

Aug 3, 2006

I am in New Bern but grew up in Kernersville (right outside of WS).

In your team, just be willing to give and take. Listen to other suggestions and treat all with respect and you should get that in return.