new teaching jobs in georgia for special ed

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by bnewsome, Jun 21, 2006.

1. bnewsome

bnewsome Rookie

Jun 21, 2006

I would like to know anyone out there knows the specifics in georgia for teaching in public school. Can the composite score of 526 be used for certification for Praxis 1 or is it a requirement to pass the math, reading, and writing individually. On the Ga professional standards website, it states that the composite score can be used, but when I call different counties in GA, I am told all tests on Praxis1 must be passed as well as PRAXIS II, I am so confused. It really should not be this difficult to get one answer. Thank you

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 21, 2006

According to http://www.gapsc.com/documentation/basicskillsinfo.asp, you need to pass all three PPST/Praxis I exams: the passing score in reading is 176, the passing score in writing is 174, and the passing score in math is 176. If you scored more than 490 on SAT verbal and more than 520 on SAT math, I think you can get a waiver.

4. bnewsome

bnewsome Rookie

Jun 21, 2006

I visited the website, so does that mean you must score at least the numbers on each perspective test, or can you score a 526 with higher numbers from a specific test?

5. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jun 21, 2006

I moved here from Kentucky in 2003 and I did not take the Praxis since I had already taken the NTE in Kentucky and passed all areas. What area of Georgia if you don't mind me asking? I am in Newton County about 35 miles east of ATL. I know that they still have several Special Ed. positions available and it's a terrific area.

6. bnewsome

bnewsome Rookie

Jun 21, 2006

I continued to read on down the page and it answered by question. You can receive a composite score without passing all three parts on the Praxis 1-thank you so much.

7. bnewsome

bnewsome Rookie

Jun 23, 2006

I am in the city of Atlanta, Fulton County. My desire is to teach in Atlanta Public Schools. I am 1 point away from the composite score and I plan to take the test again in a couple of weeks.

8. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 23, 2006

You have the take the Praxis II or be highly qualified for each subject you will be teaching in a Special Education class.

9. bnewsome

bnewsome Rookie

Jun 23, 2006

Do I have to take the Praxis 11 before entering the classroom? I have been told that I don't have to take before entering the classroom, however, praxis 1 is mandatory. I have also been told that I have to take the praxis 11 in a core subject before entering the classroom. I am quite confused because after september there is a new test gasc. Ga prof standards gives conflicting information and then tell me to see in my paperwork after I have been hired by a school system. It should not be this difficult to enter the classroom after changing careers.

10. bnewsome

bnewsome Rookie

Jun 23, 2006

I want to stay in the innder city area of Atlanta.

11. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 23, 2006

I keep hearing different things about being highly qualified, but I have a parapro. getting her Masters in Sp. Ed. and she will be teaching next year only having taken the Praxis I. I believe she said that she has to take the new test after she graduates next year. I have until just before the end of the 2006-2007 school year to complete the new test as I am not yet considered highly qualified.

The new test will be replacing the Praxis II but it will be equivalent except for the fact that it will include reading. Praxis II K-8 does not have a reading portion and you have to take the Praxis reading separately.

12. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jun 24, 2006

Every school district in the Atlanta area seems to be different. In Cherokee County (where I live and am looking) you have to pass the Praxis ll exams and be Highly Qualified before they will even interview you. The GA PSC says I can take them before my Nonrenewable Certificate expires, but the County has different views. You probably need to check with the HR department of Atlanta City Schools to find out what their expectations are.