New Teachers and $$$

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Obadiah, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 30, 2018

Also consider the option of a Health Savings Account or Flexible Spending Account.

My plan has a $1250 deductible, and a $2500 maximum out-of-pocket. I have money taken out of my check every month and deposited into a HSA/FSA account, which is enough to cover my entire deductible and some other incidental medical items that don't count toward my deductible, like my contacts, glasses, and my monthly massage. The money I contribute comes out of my check pre-tax, which is great. It is also available January 1 for the entire amount, but I still only pay my set monthly amount from my check.

2. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 30, 2018

I have a $3,000 deductible, but I also have an HRA that covers all but $500 of that deductible. Even with the high-deductible, I pay reasonable co-pays for most doctor visits or prescriptions (rather than paying the full amount) before the HRA kicks in. The HRA is used for major things, like a surgery that I had earlier this year. I don't pay a dime for my health insurance. Same goes for dental insurance. The school board covers the full amount for both. If I wanted to add dependents, then I'd pay some, but it's free for me alone. I do pay a minimal amount for vision insurance because I wear contacts/glasses and need to get an annual eye exam, but that's only about $8 or $9 per month.

3. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Jun 30, 2018

Oh, I still have a low deductible and I opted out of the HRA, I believe. My school offers really good benefits and my healthcare is 100% covered, so I pay nothing. Your vision coverage is exactly what mine is, though, and I only have to pay dental and vision, which is dirt cheap!