new teacher

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by kermy, Aug 16, 2008.

1. kermy

kermy Companion

Aug 16, 2008

I finally got a new job! I start on Monday. Wanted any advice I could get from anyone.:love: :thanks:

3. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Aug 16, 2008

I don't know what grade you will be teaching.but be sure to set class rules and consequences immediately and stick to them.Demonstrate by yourself or through role-play what each rule means and what you expect from the children as many times as necessary.Document any misbehavior and keep very careful record of test scores,homework records and anything else you feel is important.Keep a portfolio of their work for each student which can be shown to parents or administrators and shows the progress or lack of that the student has made this year.Don't assume that because the children were supposed to have learned something they did. Don't be afraid to review last year's work before you go on to this years.You will have a great deal of individual differences in ability in your class.The hardest thing in planning is to try and meet all the children's needs.
    If a child misbehaves in class it is not a reflection on you or if they do poorly in their work,it does not mean you are a poor teacher.Nobody wants to be disliked,but remember you are there to be their teacher not their friend,be strict but fair.Teaching is not easy,but look at all the positives you accomplish and don't dwell only on the negatives.
    Congratulations and good luck in your new career.

4. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Aug 16, 2008

Procedures, procedures, procedures. If you spend the first 2 weeks teaching how and what you want the students to do something, then you get to teach the rest of the year. Don't be too anxious to jump to the academics.....

Also, when you have a question about something.... come here and do a search. I've found really good stuff here if I just look. If I can't find it, I ask.....

Good luck!!!