New Teacher

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by sandra1991, May 26, 2008.

1. sandra1991

sandra1991 New Member

May 26, 2008

What discipline action do you use with a student that is always out off their seat during group time and teaching.

3. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 26, 2008

I use a traffic light system in my room, so after talking with the student and making sure I give positive praise when the child is doing the right thing and standing over by that child when possible, I'd give a warning. If the behavior persists, I'd make notes and document things and then ask the parents for a conference with the child to discuss the situation.

What does the child do when he/she gets up?

4. mcangel

mcangel Rookie

Jun 7, 2008

I, too, use a traffic system (which I am in the midst of tweaking), and I also have a student that is frequently out of her seat. It drives me crazy! SHe would move her clip when she was out of it, but this system was not working for her (she was never successful and began to see school as a negative place for herself).

So instead, what I did was give her 5 popsicle sticks that hung from a pocket on her desk (that way I have easy access to it, and she has some honesty issues so I wanted to see them at all times), but you can just hand them to the student if you trust him/her. Every time the student left their seat for anything - individual visit to the water fountain, bathroom, cubby, etc - that was not a class transition she had to give me a stick. If she did not have at least 1 stick left by recess then she spent her recess walking the track or sitting in a spot next to me (to practice being seated for a period of time). It sounds harsh, but it's clear and needed to "sting" a little in order for her to get my point (she is very social and hated the isolation during her free time). She ended up walking the track every day for two weeks before she finally got the hint. She's been successful, but she still have slip-ups now and then. And when I catch her working at her seat without getting up for 25-30 minutes, I write her a post-it letting her know that I notice (something like 'thanks for sticking to your seat and working'). She collects them :) If you decide to reward her (which she might need the extrinsic motivation) make sure your student has buy-in into the reward and that you discuss the importance of her staying seated.

You can start with fewer/more popsicle sticks - however many you need for it to meet your needs. My goal was to eventually do away with her needing them (thinking that she no longer needs them if she had 3+ sticks by recess for a period of ~2 weeks), but she still uses them today and we have three weeks left of school! :2cents:

Quite frankly, I think there is an underlying issue and she doesn't mean to get out of her seat. She's been extremely disorganized, easily distracted, and very forgetful all year...symptomatic of ADHD. I've wanted to express this possibility with her parents but they have not shown interest in conferring with me for months, so this is all I can do. Does your student demonstrate any ADHD symptoms?

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jun 7, 2008

I have a student who is always out of her seat. Flipping her card didn't work. Taking time away from preferred activities or recess didn't work. Finally, I told her that if she was up all the time, obviously she didn't need a chair -- so I took her chair away for the rest of the day! She couldn't sit on the floor or lean against anything, she just had to stand there at her table. Of course she was scooting, and shifting all over the place, but I ignored that.

I know it sounds mean, but I only had to do it one more time, and she got the point! She started staying in her seat, or she knew she'd lose it.

6. mcangel

mcangel Rookie

Jun 11, 2008

HAHAHA! I love that! I can only imagine how goofy she must've looked...and felt! I think I will try that myself.

7. GApeach6274

GApeach6274 New Member

Jun 13, 2008

Not saying that this is the case, but with some children they need to move to gather thoughts or to focus. If you have the space, maybe you could assign two seats to the student and allow her to move between the seats as she needs. Or you could designate an area in the back of the room for her to get up and move to if she needs. You could tape of a space so she can see where she is limited to walk around. Of course, she should be required to do this quietly and without disturbing other students.