New Teacher

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by JennaLove2Teach, Apr 7, 2008.

1. JennaLove2Teach

JennaLove2Teach Rookie

Apr 7, 2008

So today was my first day at my new job. I took a job as a Pk teacher. I have 3 year olds...it's a private preschool center. I work at a private center. We use creative curriculum which I'm sure a lot of you do. This is my first teaching job as I just graduated in December with my degree in Elem Ed K-6 with a specialization in Pk-K. Other than the centers being in the right areas, the room is a mess because there have been a few fill in teachers. I need allllll the advice you can give me. I have 10 children and I'm by myself until after nap time. So teachers...what can ya tell me. :help:

3. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 7, 2008

you have 10 teachers and you are by yourself for at least 4 hours??? Go someplace and celebrate!! This is so cool, you have absolutely NO idea!

4. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 7, 2008

ok, real answer

Ok..now the real answer! :p The Creative Curriculum is so easy, IMO..all you need to do is follow the book. and the online stuff is easy too! Make sure you understand and follow your program's policies and procedures.

You say the room is a mess...can you be more specific? :confused:

Do you need help with room arrangement?? Are you taking over for somebody else, or just moving into a new room? Does the site supply all the equipment and materials...or do you need to buy some things?? Sounds like you have a full day program. Find out the exact schedule and coverage...so if you are late or absent, you know what to expect so you can prepare as necessary. Find out about lunch and coverage too. Some teachers have duty free lunch, and others must spend some time planning or covering naps for their class or others.

Your main goal is to understand the assessment programs, any professional development you should be doing, and how you will work with your parents. Do you have a mentor, or special teacher who can give you some tips?

Also, is this a year round program, or will you finish up this June?

5. JennaLove2Teach

JennaLove2Teach Rookie

Apr 7, 2008

I have 10 kids...not 10 teachers....

It is a room that is already arranged....kids stuff is stored everywhere. We really have no idea what belongs to who because nothing is labeled, we have blankets, pillows,diapers, clothes that are currently ownerless. The cabinets are full of random junk. We are an all day all year program. I get a 30 minute break around 2pm..I work 830-5 MWF and 8-430 on T,Th. I only have 2 children that aren't potty trained fortunately. We do a family style lunch in our classroom. We also have an afternoon snack.

6. hawkeye

hawkeye Companion

Apr 7, 2008

Hi

I just got in this exact situation myself, 3 weeks ago I was moved to the 3 year old class cuz of my expertese and certs. Well the teacher who was in there 6 months before me let the kids GO WILD, do what they want and no rules. So it has been complete Heck trying to get the kids to do centers, circle time, and normaql preschool schedule. Im saying this: Put the ownerless stuff in a box for ONE WEEK ONLY - if its not claimed to the trash or Good will it goes. The trash can is your BEST friend. If papers are left without or without a name, toss it. You need to get some organization, one thing I do is have indicidual manilla folders that I put their artwork in every friday, on monday whatecver is not taken is trashed. My room was exact same way but I will give you a piece of advice. Concentrate first on getting the kids on a routine, schedule, and structure this may take a couple weeks. When you have down time then you can organize. Kids are your #1 priority, and # 2 priority is getting them to mind you ,r espect you, and listen so focus on that. I know the mess is driving you crazy but try not to let it, just trash, chunk, and donate. If there are toys not being used put em in a box and in storage. One thing that accumulated in my room was 'master copies" of coloring sheets. THey went in the trash cuz im a by the book person if its not in a book, binder, or contained I don';t need it. Anyways - hope this helps and remember: Focus on the kids 1 - get a routine and schedule going, then worry about the junk and trash. 3 weeks and my room is jus now BEGINNING to get like I want it, but at least my kids behave.;

7. hawkeye

hawkeye Companion

Apr 7, 2008

so hang in there - it does get better!

8. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 7, 2008

Focus on the big issues first. Set up your interest areas, Art, Water, Table Toys, Writing, Housekeeping, Science/Math, Computers, Library. Obviously, keep some things up for seasons, and just to keep down on clutter. You may have 163 books doesn't mean they all need to be out at the same time. Make sure you have a routine for bathroom, water, and meals. A circle time activity and transition, and arrival/departure.

then, you can start digging in those cabinets, and see what you have. If it is old and yucky, dump it! Some people hold on to stuff forever. Know the beauty of having new things!

9. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Apr 8, 2008

Wow, I have been there. I took over from a Director who had been at the center for 10 years, and I think she kept everything, shopped garage sales, and joined book clubs. I concentrated on the big issues first--I got the teachers all on the same page, aligned the curriculum, and re-created the program. When I first came in, I cleared out the big messes. I have been there over a year, and am just getting to the stacks and drawers. It has been a long time coming, but I feel that I am finally getting organized.

10. Taliesin

Taliesin Rookie

Apr 8, 2008

I don't have any advice but just wanted to say hi and welcome! I am in a very similar position to you. I graduated in Dec. and started working 3 months ago. I have 8 children and am by myself all day. We are also a full day/full year program and we use the Creative Curriculum. I am also with 3's, although all are 4 by now except 2. It took about 2 months until I really felt settled and confidant in our routine. It sounds like you are doing a good job. I hope it continues to go well for you.

11. JennaLove2Teach

JennaLove2Teach Rookie

Apr 8, 2008

So today I was alone because the teacher who is "training" me was at a funeral....I had a very overwhelming day....you guys have made me feel like I'll get it down though. The cook is a former teacher with a family member (kinda) in my room and she is in there all day long TELLING me what to do. I just feel like everyone expects me to have it down so quick!

12. hawkeye

hawkeye Companion

Apr 8, 2008

Jenna

Yes hon just hang in there - it DOES get better. You will have good and bad days. As far as the cook telling you what to do tALk to your director. We have one prek trainer and only she can tell you what to do. So dont know if its the same