New Teacher

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by teach57, Dec 14, 2006.

1. teach57

teach57 Comrade

Dec 14, 2006

Hello everyone. Recently, I have accepted a 4th Grade teaching position for the rest of the year. This is my first classroom and I'm very excited and nervous. I will be shadowing the teacher two days next week and then after winter break it's all me. The principal told me that the kids LOVE their teacher, so I will have very big shoes to fill.

Anyone have any hints on what to do being a teacher coming in the middle of the year?

3. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Dec 15, 2006

Just make sure that when you take over after the break that you make sure the studnets understand what has happened and that you are in charge. why is the other teacher leaving? i would suggest sticking with the current classroom management plan if it's working. don't make toom any changes since the students will already be used to the classroom and expectations.

4. teach57

teach57 Comrade

Dec 17, 2006

The teacher is leaving because her husband was relocated for his work back to where they both are orginally from. I'm meeting with the teacher on Tuesday and I'm hoping she's going to leave me something, etc.

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 17, 2006

Several times this topic has come up and I've noticed that people tend to prescribe this advice: Use the first few days as a get to know you time much like you would during "back to school time." Let them help you but also at the same time tell them what they should expect from you and what you expect from them. If lesson plans are already made, use them and spend your time adjusting. If lesson plans aren't already made, try implementing their current lessons but save some time for getting to know you fun and procedures. Don't dive too fast but do be in complete charge.

6. shirl

shirl Rookie

Dec 18, 2006

Wow, I can sympathize. I am also taking over a class in January. I have actually had parents come up to me and tell me that I have big shoes to fill. Talk about pressure!!

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 18, 2006

Just remember that everyone wears the right size to fit their own feet. Don't let the parents intimidate you. Kids adapt quite easily.

8. shirl

shirl Rookie

Dec 18, 2006

That's very inspiring! Thank you:)

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 18, 2006

You're welcome. :love:

10. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Dec 18, 2006

I think you will be surprised to see how quick the kids will adapt. In time you will be doing things your own way. There will be small changes and big changes but they WILL adapt.

11. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Dec 18, 2006

You and the children will adapt quite well. I would take over the class as if it was mine to begin with but leave things as much as possible as before. But, if you need to make changes because they do not work for you then make the changes. It is all in your hands now. Love it and take advantage of your classroom and have fun teaching them and the children will latch on to you fully.

Have fun!
    Michelle
    :)

12. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Dec 18, 2006

One thing I did when I took over was do things the way the other teacher did for a day, the next day I rearranged the room, and changed the way the students entered the room. I slowly begain implimenting my procedures over the next few weeks. It gave an immdiate change, in a non threatening manner.....a new room arrangement happens frequently but does still let the students know there is a new sherrif in town.

Then give the kids a chance to get to know you, do the first days of school stuff that Wong suggests. Trust me, I started on 11/2 and after weeks of doing procedures and stuff like I did for a month I know that when I had a horrible sub last week my kids knew what to do....the sub wouldn't let them, but they tried to do things my way!

It is hard to start in the middle like that....but just jump in, and enjoy!

13. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Dec 19, 2006

Nice advice Wldywall. :)

14. 2ndGradeSub

2ndGradeSub Rookie

Dec 19, 2006

Similiar situation!

Hey, I can totally relate. I will be covering a 3rd grade class until the end of the year. Their teacher is leaving in about 2 weeks, (if she makes it that long...she is pregnant and ready to pop.) I am very nervous. It is going to be hard to fill her shoes, she is a fantastic teacher!!!
    This is actually my 3rd long term position but I have been observed twice already in another class, and I haven't been doing well on my observations due to my lack of classroom management. I have already been told by the principal that this is my last warning, and that she wants to hire me in September, but I have to prove that I have my classroom management down. I am so nervous that I won't be tough enough. I am trying already, since I have had plenty of chances to observe this teacher and the students. So I am starting off tough. But It doesn't help my situation when I think of what the principal told me. So now I feel that if I don't get the permanent position for Sept. I'm going to feel like a failure, and will never find a job anywhere or maybe then I should just give up.

15. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Dec 19, 2006

Secondgradesub,

Calm down. Classroom management comes with experience. You have probably noticed that you have improved alot since the first time you were a LTS, and you keep getting them which means the principal sees your potential. Think positive, visualize your classroom management the way you want it to be, and then go get 'em.

I know that the principals's commnet is weighing on your mind... look at it as a challenge. Show her how far you've come.

16. 2ndGradeSub

2ndGradeSub Rookie

Dec 20, 2006

Thank You MrsFizzle. I'm gonna try my best to "go get 'em". Actually I might make that my new saying...lol, maybe that will be my motivation to prove to the principal that I can improve & show her how much I have learned.
    Thank You :)

17. teach57

teach57 Comrade

Dec 20, 2006

It's tough when your principal tells you something like that. Back on the shoes subject, my principal told me I have huge shoes to fill. Like MissFrizzle said, I'm going to take that as a challenge and run with it. I want a job again in the same school next year, so I will do everything I can to make sure it happens. So take a deep breath and believe in yourself.

As for the ideas to start out with...thank you everyone! I was able to shadow and help the teacher I will be replacing for the last two days. It was wonderful to meet the kids before I start teaching them. I was also able to meet some of the parents when they came in today to surprise the teacher with a big going away present. Some of the parents were very supportive and some will take a while to win over. So it will be another challenge I'm going to try to overcome. I feel with a positive can-do attitude, anything is possible!

18. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Dec 20, 2006

I have to say that I agree with most of the comments, and if you follow the advice, all will go well.
    Start slow, make small changes throughout the next 6 months. When something isn't working, be honest with the class and tell them, "this isn't working for me." It's ok to make changes - good teachers are flexible!
    Best of luck