New Teacher!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Sabrina O'Bryan, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Sabrina O'Bryan

Sabrina O'Bryan Rookie

Jul 11, 2006

I'm a first year teacher and very excited!! I will be teaching thrid grade. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about room themes, bulletin boards, or any tips for this grade level.

Sabrina,

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2006

Hi SAbrina,

I'm HS math so I don't have anything concrete to offer. But take a look at the threads here. So much is here, I'm sure you'll find the answers to many of your quesions.

Welcome!

4. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jul 11, 2006

Welcome! There are tons of threads on here about room themes. Some ideas: rain forest, jungle, ocean (my personal theme), bugs, space, western, team spirit/sports, travel, the ideas are endless. As far as bulletin boards go, use fabric as your background. You can use all kinds of things for borders. Do a search of the archives on this site and you will find tons of ideas. Good luck!!

5. gspriggs

gspriggs New Member

Jul 11, 2006

Me too!

I am a new third grade teacher too!! Any third grade teachers with hints and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

6. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Jul 11, 2006

Congrats Sabrina and gspriggs. :) I teach third grade and I love it! There a lot of great ideas on this site. If you have any specific questions about 3rd graders, I would be happy to help. :angel:

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 11, 2006

Hi, and welcome to AtoZ, sabrina and gspriggs! Take time to keep up with the new threads each day and you will be amazed at how much info and insight you will find.

8. Sabrina O'Bryan

Sabrina O'Bryan Rookie

Jul 11, 2006

gspriggs,
    Maybe we can stick togther and make it through our first year of teaching!! I can't wait to get started and meet my students.

9. Sabrina O'Bryan

Sabrina O'Bryan Rookie

Jul 11, 2006

WITEACH,
    I'm sure that I'll have lots of questions about teaching thrid grade once the year begins. I was wondering if you have any stress over end of the year state testing in Winsconsin. In Kentucky there is so much pressure for thrid and foruth grade teachers. I'm already worried about testing. As a first year teacher I don't want to be so stressed I can't enjoy myself!

10. gspriggs

gspriggs New Member

Jul 11, 2006

I am worried about the testing too! In Tennessee we take the TCAP starting in 3rd and as a first year teacher my biggest concern is getting my students ready for success. I want to prepare as best as possible. Anyone have tips on how best to do that? Do you start at the beginning of the year just slowly emerging them in some of what the test might offer? not telling them of course, but jsut so they arent shocked! last year in my mentorship we did a test in first grade and the kids were so stressed out about it we have ones crying and shaking, because they knew there was a test in 3rd grade that would make them fail if they didnt pass. I just dont want to have any break downs.

11. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Jul 11, 2006

I'M NEW AND THIRD GRADE TOO!!!!!

everyone here is so helpful. for the 3 years that i've been looking for a job they have helped boost my spirit and now they have helped with some GREAT advice and lesson ideas. flip through the pages on this site and you'll find so so much!

good luck!
    LC

12. Bonnie gr. 2

Bonnie gr. 2 Companion

Jul 11, 2006

Third grade is great! It's my favorite grade to teach. The kids are still young enough to still love school and their teacher. But they can be relatively independent, too. When I taught third, we had nonconsumable math books so the kids had to copy the problems into a notebook or onto paper. The first week of school how to do this was a lesson that had to be taught. It was interesting to see how they would try to do it. So we had to learn where to place the book and notebook, as well as how to set up the page with the date and page number. A trick I got from a 6th grade teacher was to assign the even or odd problems in class and the other set for homework.

Good luck!

13. mrsnoble116

mrsnoble116 Companion

Jul 11, 2006

Welcome to 3rd!

theme ideas: my friend did an ocean theme. Her behavior management board had different borders of blue as the waves, and she used sandpaper as sand. Fish were her students.

Last year I did racing, there are some track borders and race car borders. There is an acme license maker site...google it (I don't know the url off hand).

This year my them will be of my state...the kids still think the state capitol is a different state.

My first day advice is to read First Day Jitters by Julie Danneberg.

Be stern, but friendly, fun and nice. Set the rules from day 1.

Take a look at the last two or three pages of posts there have been tons of ideas in the last month.