New Teacher!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by teacherquestions101, Aug 21, 2019.

1. teacherquestions101

teacherquestions101 New Member

Aug 21, 2019

Hi everyone, it’s almost my first day as a first grade teacher! I am looking for some tips. I am doing daily 5 for reading. I am wondering if anyone could do a play by play of how they do their reading block using this model. The first grade teacher that was here before my said jay she requires her students to all do read to self every day. does this mean that they get more than one choice per day? If so, how much time is spent on each one? Also looking for classroom management ideas, Thanks!

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 24, 2019

I'm new to first but have experience with Daily 5 in other grades. There are so many ways to manage it. In my new role, I do 20 minutes of independent reading (which is the same as Read to Self), and then I do another 40 of centers (which is a substitute for the other four Daily 5 activities). I do my read aloud, shared reading, phonics, etc. outside of my main reading block, which is strictly for my small groups and conferring.