New "teacher"

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by NotEvenATeacher, Jun 25, 2017.

1. NotEvenATeacher

NotEvenATeacher New Member

Jun 25, 2017

I work at a daycare center, working with three year olds. My technical title is Caregiver, though I write lesson plans for the week now, so eventually I should be Lead Teacher. I have never been a teacher before in any capacity. I didn't even finish school for teaching. But since the Lead TEacher in my room is doing nothing for these kids, it falls to me.

My issues: They refuse to listen to anything, and I often have to put them into time out for hitting, etc. I Would like these kids to, by the end of the year, know their alphabets, colors, shapes and some numbers. This is the stuff they need to move onto the next level, and into the next class.

I would also like help with their behaviors. I have one kid who REFUSES to go into time out. Two special needs kids, and several who cry constantly.

Did I mention I have no teaching experience but they expect me to sink or swim? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

3. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

Jun 25, 2017

They're three year olds. They just need to "play" to learn.
    Songs and dances can do a lot. Really, that age just needs to be entertained to be happy.
    But if you have to "teach", flashcards, books, and some kind of pintrest-y craft.
    As far as classroom management for that age, they need redirection more than discipline.

4. NotEvenATeacher

NotEvenATeacher New Member

Jun 25, 2017

I am actually excpected to do lesson plans, and to put them into time out when they hit. I don't expect them to be perfect (they're three) but I would like to help them to learn what respect is, etc (i've been in the two year old room before, and they behave better than my threes). Also we do crafts and are expected to do crafts twice a day.

5. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Jun 26, 2017

In all honesty, it sounds like you need to stop focusing on academic, art, etc. and just practice classroom routine, following directions, establishing classroom rules, etc. Your students won't learn anything in an out of control environment. I encourage you to research more about positive reinforcement and developmentally appropriate discipline. Time out should be used sparringly, if at all.

6. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Jun 26, 2017

Oops, didn't finish my post.....I would treat it like the beginning of school all over again.

-keep large group short (under 10 minutes) and focused on lessons on using materials appropriately, introducing visuals of classroom rules, etc.
    -make sure students know the classroom routine and have predictable and structured transitions from one activity to another
    -implement social skills lessons into the day (like at story time) and practice interactions using modeling, puppets, etc. to minimize aggressive behaviors

I can give more specific suggestions if you want to post about what parts of the day are most difficult.